Florida Tarpon/Snook

OldTownYakBoi

Florida Tarpon/Snook

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

What’s up TKF, I’m thinking about taking a trip to Florida for the infamous mullet run that happens in late September. The dream is to catch snook/tarpon from the beach.

Do any of you fine gentlemen have previous experience doing such a thing? From the research I’ve done it looks like the Southern area of Florida from Cocoa Beach, South, to Miami is the best for what I’m trying to achieve.

Taking such a trip would take much more planning and money than a trip to a city along the gulf side of Florida.

Any and all advice/past experiences are welcome.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Florida Tarpon/Snook

Post by shoffer »

My experience has been that tarpon migrate on the gulf side of Florida from April to June/July. I have no idea about the Atlantic side.

In my view, the best snook and tarpon fishing is around Capitva Island on the Gulf side. Fly into Ft. Myers and go see Capt. Nick Fischer or his brother Ozzie Fischer.

I was in the Florida Keys two weeks ago. That's the best fishing anywhere on the planet if you ask me, but red tide bloom in the Everglade Backcountry made snook and trout fishing a no-go. I did catch a bonefish, some shark, and a ton of barracuda and Mangrove snapper though. Saw plenty of tarpon in Islamorada at the Bass Pro Shops where people feed them year-round, but that's not what you are looking for.
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Thanks for the detailed response Shoffer. I’ve had some other avid fisherman tell me that the Tampa Bay Area would be good for what I’m looking to achieve.

I’d definitely want to hire a guide in such a new place, especially so I don’t have to bring all my gear.

Thanks again
dnordin

Post by dnordin »

If you are looking at the east coast have a look at the Jensen beach area. I lived there in the 80's and the fishing was great. Particularly around an area called sailfish point. Its a tricky piece of water if you are kayaking. In the 80's access from shore was dependent on tides, there were times you had to swim to the spot. There is a red coral reef just off the coast there, at least there was. The area has changed a lot an access may be restricted due to condo development.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

I read an article recently about wade/flyfishing for snook. The guy said if the water's over your ankles, you're too deep!
I'm heading down to the Brownsville ship channel week after next. They say that's the biggest concentration of snook outside of Florida. Maybe I can catch one there. I probably won't be flyfishing, but might give it a try. My bucket list is short, but catching a snook is on it.
TexasJim
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Kyle - if you are going to Tampa, you should hook up with poling skiff guide CA Richardson. He has an awesome Youtube Channel called "Flats Class" and he guides out of that area. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv-07r ... a_A/videos.
chicken...

Post by chicken... »

Agree with Shoffer on C.A. Richardson, look him up.

Happy Fishin',
chicken... :wink: