Rat-L-Trap 1 oz or 1 1/2 oz for Kings

LTA

Rat-L-Trap 1 oz or 1 1/2 oz for Kings

Post by LTA »

Just wondering which size of Rat-L-Trap 1 oz or 1 1/2 oz while trolling for Kings? :horse:
Killerbee

Re: Rat-L-Trap 1 oz or 1 1/2 oz for Kings

Post by Killerbee »

LTA wrote:Just wondering which size of Rat-L-Trap 1 oz or 1 1/2 oz while trolling for Kings? :horse:
I have not used traps but I bet either size would produce Kings. The hooks would need to be saltwater for sure.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

LTA

Post by LTA »

The Saltwater series do have the stainless steel hooks, the 1 1/2 oz look like the would be hard hard to troll with, also I’m still struggling on how to tie the wire (using the haywire twist) to my lure and what length the wire leader should be.
Killerbee

Post by Killerbee »

LTA wrote:The Saltwater series do have the stainless steel hooks, the 1 1/2 oz look like the would be hard hard to troll with, also I’m still struggling on how to tie the wire (using the haywire twist) to my lure and what length the wire leader should be.
#6 or 7 spro swivels and 25lb Malin with haywire twists is what I would use.

Killerbee

Post by Killerbee »

Killerbee wrote:
LTA wrote:The Saltwater series do have the stainless steel hooks, the 1 1/2 oz look like the would be hard hard to troll with, also I’m still struggling on how to tie the wire (using the haywire twist) to my lure and what length the wire leader should be.
#6 or 7 spro swivels and 25lb Malin with haywire twists is what I would use.

I would make the bite guards 8 to 10 inchs long.

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

I'm late replying, but try the Halco Max 110 in baitfish, king brown or yellowfin colors. It gets hit a LOT by kingfish and has really nice split rings and hooks that last. I'm almost always pulling one while trolling. If you leave it out only as far as the depth, it will sink when you stop and sometimes snapper will eat the lure as it sits there. I've caught several close to 30" that way.
Fishinganywhere

Post by Fishinganywhere »

The hook is what matters, I normally use the 1-1.5oz with 1/o saltwater hooks but caught several decent (40" range) after I've broken off all I had on some 3/8th oz off brand with bass hooks when all else failed, seems to me what matters most is "matching the hatch" for size of baitfish and having decent hooks, if they're there you'll catch em but best bet is always going to be liveys or ribbon fish