Nearshore Rigs coordinates

John Hall

Nearshore Rigs coordinates

Post by John Hall »

Is there a database or map showing the rigs like the ones off BHP or MP?
dnordin

Re: Nearshore Rigs coordinates

Post by dnordin »

Yes NOAA Charts has them all listed
https://www.charts.noaa.gov/Interactive ... nrnc.shtml
You will need to zoom in and see what chart you need.
Fishtolive

Post by Fishtolive »

I think NAvionics apps also shown the rigs on their map. Not sure how accurate but they do show them.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Unless it’s foggy when you go you can see them all from the beach.

For Mayan Princess take beach access road 2 and turn North. Stop at beach marker 80 for the most direct route to that set of rigs. Returning to the beach is easy, just aim left of the condo with the red tile roof.

For Mustang Island State Park I use access road 3 and head North to the bollards. The standpipe is the closest rig, and the others are lined up parallel to the beach to the North from there.

For the close BHP standpipe launch beside BHP. The trip to the rigs farther offshore can be made easier by driving a couple of miles down the shoreline. Just study the beach and dunes as you work offshore. It will help you find your vehicle as you return ro the beach. Of course if you have a gps just mark the spot and it’s not an issue but I fished for years with no electronics and did okay.
dnordin

Post by dnordin »

I review charts using Noaa's viewer quite a bit, one thing I look for is near shore wrecks, and pipelines, many have been covered in sand since they were put on the chart and probably do not represent good structure, but some do form holes. I have stepped in them. Navionics may have the same info I just never looked at it. Personally I have a closet full of paper charts I like them for pre planning trips. I also have/had some charts from National Marine Fisheries, that I got from a project I was working, it shows good info on were fish are generally by fish type. The chart was used for an Environmental Impact statement. If I find it I will post it so y'all can use/see it.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

There's also a detailed book by Ric Jacobsen which covers state waters. However, I do not know if it covers waters around Corpus Christi Port Aransas.

NOAA has a Wreck's and Obstructions Map viewer: https://wrecks.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/viewer/
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

Prof. Salt wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:44 am Unless it’s foggy when you go you can see them all from the beach.

For Mayan Princess take beach access road 2 and turn North. Stop at beach marker 80 for the most direct route to that set of rigs. Returning to the beach is easy, just aim left of the condo with the red tile roof.

For Mustang Island State Park I use access road 3 and head North to the bollards. The standpipe is the closest rig, and the others are lined up parallel to the beach to the North from there.

For the close BHP standpipe launch beside BHP. The trip to the rigs farther offshore can be made easier by driving a couple of miles down the shoreline. Just study the beach and dunes as you work offshore. It will help you find your vehicle as you return ro the beach. Of course if you have a gps just mark the spot and it’s not an issue but I fished for years with no electronics and did okay.
Is there one of these that is closest that you would recommend? How much better are the MP rigs vs just going to the standpipe at bob hall? How far are off the beach are Mayan Princess rigs? They look close, but I know that can be deceiving.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

The first MP rig is just under 2 miles off the beach, similar to the BHP standpipe. The advantage of Mayan Princes is that if the first rig doesn't have fish that day, you can jump to the next and the next, as much as you want to paddle. The BHP pipe serves as a pretty consistent cobia attractor, probably because it's the only structure within 4 miles.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

Awesome, thank you for the response! 🙏
dnordin

Post by dnordin »

Nice find with the NOAA wrecks. I spent most of my life with paper charts, the viewer has lots of good features.