Galveston West Bay (North and South Shoreline)

OldTownYakBoi

Galveston West Bay (North and South Shoreline)

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

My God what a brutal summer it’s been on the Texas Coast. High temperatures, no rain, and terrible winds have plagued us all summer long. But within the last month the rain has fallen periodically, seemingly on a daily basis, and has cooled even the hottest of the shallow flats. Below are 2 trips on back to back days. Day one is on the North Shoreline and day 2 is the Sputh Shoreline.

Conditions:
Wind: Northeast 5mph
Tide: Incoming
Bait activity level: moderate
Lure: Super Spook Boyo

Sat 9/10
The weather is so perfect that it’s been hard to pick what to do! I’m a junkie for the surf, but the shallow water redfish have been calling my name. I launched into a marsh on the North Shoreline of Galveston before sunrise, temperature and winds were low, mosquitos were insane. The plan was to be in a particular back lake by sunrise and we made it happen. As the sun came up the mosquitoes dissipated and we were greeting with a cool, light, Northern breeze. I cruised a wind protected shoreline looking for signs of life. I began seeing blow ups very tight to the grassline, the tide was very high and the water dirty, but I knew based on the sound it was redfish. I couldn’t tell what the fish were feeding on, but I assume it was a mix of shrimp and mullet.
F5D652DF-C121-4E77-8DEE-7DDDF329C250.jpeg
Cruising the grass line I searched for obvious signs. As the sun came up the flat came to life, I started hearing blowups all around us. Before too long I saw a blowup on the grass within casting distance. I tossed my plug in, the flat was dead still… Tik tik tik tik tik, zzzzzzhhhhiiittt, fish on! Redfish always surprise me with their strength, but I got the first fish in the boat, 24 in!
CF90C6B2-2ADA-47D1-8132-B31A0E51E75F.jpeg
I continued down the shoreline looking for similar signs. As we came to a point there was an etty that had formed on the downside, and there were reds feeding aggressively in this pocket. My buddy and myself cast at the same time and doubled up as our lures hit the water, 2 more redfish.
AEA26604-E1DA-416C-BCDB-36356F8B15E2.jpeg
Feeling confident we had found a pattern I headed to an adjacent shoreline to see if similar things were happening. Soon enough I saw a good blowup and threw a cast. The hit was hard and the fish swam in the opposite direction for a run, my drag was prettty tight and my line ended up breaking. Not the end of the world, but the end of my fish catching…. That was the only topwater I had. I switched to plastics, but the blowups and fish signs halted as quickly as they started. The sun had come out and was a reminder that it’s not quite fall yet.

Sun 9/11

Conditions
Wind: N 10-20 Mph
Tide: Incoming
Bait activity: Low
Lure: Small skitterwalk/ DSL Burner Shad
I launched before sunrise on the South Shoreline with a similar plan to the day before. I was to go out and hunt the grass lines with my topwater, easy right? Well I have to ask y’all… What are your experiences with fishing the backside of a Full Moon? In short, generally mine are terrible. However, I really wanted to take a trip and I like a challenge. I arrived to my first area as the sun came up. I didn’t have another boyo spook so I started with a small skitterwalk. I caught a few small trout within minutes and was hearing the toilet flush of reds crush bait. I moved to the grassline and could see blowups, the same as the day before. But this time I was rejected time and time again as I tossed my topwater plug to them. I did have one red wake on the lure only to turn away. At that moment I knew I was in for a tough day. I moved from that area to a back lake and would see a blow up here and there, but I couldn’t pin the fish down as the blowups were random. The tide was high so I made it my mission to explore the area. I roamed around having little success, I caught a few dink trout but that was it. Bait activity was low and winds pretty high. Finally, in the main lake on a protected shoreline I started seeing some more blowups. I was careful to stay silent in my approach and patient for the right opportunity. With some time I spotted a toilet flush blow up within my sight. I casted as close to the grass as I could, but my lure sailed a little far and landed in the grass. I jossled the bait out and it gently splashed the water. In an instance the redfish hammered it and I was on. This fish was strong, trying to break me off by swimming under my kayak. After a good fight and a ton of grinding I landed this 25in beauty
7FD2D925-BA9E-497E-9391-0C807D279463.jpeg
This was the only keeper fish of the day. The sun got high in the sky, but I wanted to explore a bit more. I was able to access some areas I never had been and was surprised to see Redfish everywhere. This will be another good area for me as the fall progresses.

Sometimes you’re lucky and sometimes you’re good, but you won’t be either if you stop casting.

Tight Lines, Yak Boi
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Galveston West Bay (North and South Shoreline)

Post by Dandydon »

Kyle, your fishing reports are fun to read and always teach me something about saltwater fishing. Too bad your only keeper this trip was that pretty slot Redfish!

Keep your reports and tasty photos coming! Hope to see you on the water soon.

And thanks for confirming that the W. Galveston Sportsman Rd. launch is still closed. Your photo tells the sad story. Soon I'll be sending the City of Galveston a certified legal demand letter. Stay tuned to TKF for updates. Image

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

The back side of a full moon is very very tough, especially on plastics. I just feel lucky to get that nice slot fish.

As far as Sportsman’s Road Launch… We have to collectively stand up to the city, this is not acceptable and we will not go down in silence. Let us know how we can help Don!
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

I also forget to highlight just how good the Heddon Spook Boyo is. Coming in @3/8th ounces and 3 inches long, this bite sized topwater is perfect for a calm flat or spooky fish. My hookup ratio on this lure is amazing compared to something like a mirrolure shedog. I’m definitely keeping a few in my box from now on, great lure!