Corpus Area Kings

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Corpus Area Kings

Post by Prof. Salt »

If you fished the MP rigs or others near Corpus last weekend you probably noticed that fish were not around. I believe we have had so much rain runoff that the fish have gone farther offshore temporarily. This time of year should be the best fishing possible, but it seems to be put on ice for now. With more rain coming this week and weekend, I really hope this doesn't put a major crimp on the season. The anchovy migration should be kicking off any time now, and I would really prefer to have predators slashing away, showing us where to fish.

Conditions have been beautiful, but after 15 miles Saturday I came home with zero fish. That ain't normal. :lol:
Killerbee

Re: Corpus Area Kings

Post by Killerbee »

Prof. Salt wrote:If you fished the MP rigs or others near Corpus last weekend you probably noticed that fish were not around. I believe we have had so much rain runoff that the fish have gone farther offshore temporarily. This time of year should be the best fishing possible, but it seems to be put on ice for now. With more rain coming this week and weekend, I really hope this doesn't put a major crimp on the season. The anchovy migration should be kicking off any time now, and I would really prefer to have predators slashing away, showing us where to fish.

Conditions have been beautiful, but after 15 miles Saturday I came home with zero fish. That ain't normal. Image
I was in Matagorda this week Professor. Migration in full affect there. Massive bait ball by the rig being slaughtered by everything. They were really keyed on small baits though. Mananged some fish and I will have a video with some epic footage of those fish running through the bait while I was tied to the rig. They even hit the kayak several times. Mostly Ladyfish,spanish and some jacks! I saw big tarpon headed south right outside the surf. They were on a mission and moving fast!

Been a really short offshore season this year. Sorry the conditions didnt cooperate this weekend. Maybe you can manage another window or two. I will be patiently awaiting the videos!!!! Love to see a couple more Professor Salt videos before the season closes! Good luck man!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

GregO722

Post by GregO722 »

I was at the MP rigs this past Sunday, no kings for me. There were clouds of baitfish everywhere, tiny ones, are those the anchovies? I launched at sunrise, hit all of the rigs, had a little fun with the Sabiki and bait fish, but nothing else. I was really wondering what happened, caught a 47 inch King at Bob Hall two weeks prior to that. I did have my AI, not much wind, so sailing was slow, but I covered a fair amount of water with zero success.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

The tiny baitfish are anchovies, and as they mass up they'll begin migrating South, with every predator possible following and eating their fill. It's the best time to be on the water, and a bad time to fall out of the kayak. :lol:
kayakmodSS

Post by kayakmodSS »

Hi Professor in normal conditions what time of the year did you say is best for king fish? i have being told from July to the end of September but we have a trip a couple of years back on October and we found some kings
GregO722

Post by GregO722 »

This weekend looks like a possibility. I can't go Saturday, but will make the trip down on Sunday if things look good. I will have a 6 year old with me, so it only takes a few baitfish at the rig to make it a "success". I would like to think that there is a chance that we could get into Spanish, Kings or Jacks. Any of those would be a bonus.
Thinking Bob Hall this weekend.
Oh, and Professor, you had me rolling with that comment about falling off the kayak.