Bob Hall Pier (((((REPORT))))) Thursday, 8-18-22

Yakety_Yak

Bob Hall Pier (((((REPORT))))) Thursday, 8-18-22

Post by Yakety_Yak »

If you read the PINS report, this is a continuation of that trip but the next day. After packing up at PINS and heading back off the beachline, we (William, Ryan, and I) went to get something to eat at Whataburger then to clean fish at Billings Bait. Finally, we went to get some more ice. Next stop is the Bob Hall Pier beachline. We arrived on the BHP beachline and found a place to park around 6:00 pm ish. Due to it being a weekday and kids are back in school, there was not much traffic on the beach. We parked and immediately started to get the kayaks ready. After we finished getting the yaks ready for the next day, we all pulled out our chairs, sat, and watched the sky darken and the stars burn bright. It was a great sight to see!

The next morning comes and I am the first to get up. Shortly after, William and Ryan wake up and began to pull themselves together. People started to show on the beach for this outing. I would say around 25 people, give or take, showed up. This is not a bad showing since it had to be rescheduled several times. For those of you that could not make it this year because of the schedule changes, you may want to try and be flexible for next summer if your schedule can permit it. As you know, Mother Nature is in charge and there is no telling what she has in store for the kayaking community. As people are rolling in, others are preparing for the day.

There were more experienced kayakers here on this day than new people. That made it easy when pairing up new people to experienced people. People continued to roll in.

Ryan and one other started up their drones and played with those for a short time. Ryan got a nice arial shot of the rig with the drone later on. I was amazed on how far his drone could go and keep connectivity to his controller.

Now that most, if not all, are ready, it was time to conduct a meeting before launching. In this meeting I pair up everyone, talk about some safety matters, show everyone how to put on a ribbon fish on to a ribbon fish leader, and other things.

Once the meeting was finished, it was time to launch.

As everyone was launching Ryan caught this great shot of John Hall's son, Sean, going through the surf zone and making his way over a sizable wave in the four gut. Sean made it through with flying colors. The cool thing is that Sean is only an 8th grader so as he gets older, he will be a master of the surf zone. WTG Sean!!

Soon after, Ryan sent his drone out to the rig to see if it would go that far and to get some good arial shots of the rig. I thought that was pretty cool.

The weather was good that day. Even though the surf started out kind of on the rough side in the morning, later in the day when everyone was coming back in the surf was even better. The predictions for the day were correct but just a few hours off. The swells started out okay but got even better as the day went on. Overall, things went well and everyone had a great time on the water with only a couple of people turtling in the surf going out. The fishing did not start strong. As the morning progressed, the bite finally turned on. It was a late morning to early afternoon bite. I had quite a few runs. Every time I had a run, I would give my rod to someone that had not caught a fish yet to give them the opportunity to bring in one. It was fun to watch. I do not mind sitting in the passenger seat and watching. Sometimes watching can be just as much fun as catching.

Even though many fished by the rig, quite a few drifted away and tried their luck further out. Everyone kept it at the first rig. There was no need to try the further ones and risk getting sea sick. It was good to see everyone staying close and having a good time. There is no need to go further to find fish when many were catching fish already at the near rig.

Different fish were caught. There were quite a few kings caught, some smacks (Spanish mackerel), different types of sharks, and a jack was caught. A few were vertical jigging at the rig to try their luck on red snapper. Red snapper was caught but nothing of size to bring home; however, some lane snapper was caught. Everyone was getting along on the water as well as helping each other out. It was truly a day of everyone helping each other out. It is great to see that kind of comradery!

Most of the day the sun stayed behind the clouds. It was extremely comfortable. The water was 91 degrees and if my memory serves me right, the air temps were in the lower to mid-90's in the latter half of the day . Here are some pics of people fishing or catching fish when the sun decided to show its face.

Ron ended up catching a shark. He loves eating blacktip so he kept the one he caught, bled it while on the water, and cleaned it once back at shore.

Eventually, it was time to start heading back. Due to the low surf, I do not believe anyone turtled coming in. Everyone had a great time from what I gathered, whether they caught fish or not.

It was time to start packing up things and making our way back to our homes. I want to say thanks to everyone that attended! It was great meeting everyone. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call me. 832-588-7091 For those of you that have some pics, please post up on this thread. Have a great day and I will see you guys’ next year at the BHP outing. Tight lines!

kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Bob Hall Pier (((((REPORT))))) Thursday, 8-18-22

Post by kickingback »

Great write up and pictures! Thanks for posting for all to enjoy! Wish I could have gone again with you all but glad you all had a blast and all were safe! God bless!
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

Really good report and pictures. The drone pictures look cool and it looks like everyone is having fun. You brought up a good topic… seasickness. How often on a kayak have you or someone you know get seasick BTB? I understand that kayaks go out in calm waters, but it sometimes looks like it gets wavy. Any experiences with this… asking for a friend :oops:
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

kickingback wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:13 pm Great write up and pictures! Thanks for posting for all to enjoy! Wish I could have gone again with you all but glad you all had a blast and all were safe! God bless!
kickingback..... you know where to find me when you are ready to go offshore again. :)

Kitsune wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:13 pm Really good report and pictures. The drone pictures look cool and it looks like everyone is having fun. You brought up a good topic… seasickness. How often on a kayak have you or someone you know get seasick BTB? I understand that kayaks go out in calm waters, but it sometimes looks like it gets wavy. Any experiences with this… asking for a friend
Sea sickness affects everyone differently. Some get it and others don't. Through the years I will occasionally get sea sickness. It's not heavy but it's there. I usually get it the first trip out of the season. It's 50/50 if I get it or not. After that first trip, I'm good to go. If I do get it, I can usually work my way out of it.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

I get it horribly bad on long trips offshore, like every time. Last time I went I reeled in a snapper and then stuck my head overboard :oops: I was wondering if a kayak made it worse or better? I would think its better to be closer to the water, but the rocking on a kayak can get bad. I remember fishing right outside the breakers and I started to get sick, I really didn't put it together until later, but it was probably motion sickness. I would hate to try and paddle in with seasickness, but ultimately paddling might be the only way out of it :|
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Thanks for sharing that great trip.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, even if only through the photographs.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Kayak Kid wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:35 am Thanks for sharing that great trip.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, even if only through the photographs.
My pleasure! :)

Kitsune wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:35 am I get it horribly bad on long trips offshore, like every time. Last time I went I reeled in a snapper and then stuck my head overboard :oops: I was wondering if a kayak made it worse or better? I would think its better to be closer to the water, but the rocking on a kayak can get bad. I remember fishing right outside the breakers and I started to get sick, I really didn't put it together until later, but it was probably motion sickness. I would hate to try and paddle in with seasickness, but ultimately paddling might be the only way out of it :|
It's hard to say if the effects of sea sickness is better or worse on a kayak than a boat. I believe it affects everyone differently.
deptrai

Post by deptrai »

Kitsune wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:35 am I get it horribly bad on long trips offshore, like every time. Last time I went I reeled in a snapper and then stuck my head overboard :oops: I was wondering if a kayak made it worse or better? I would think its better to be closer to the water, but the rocking on a kayak can get bad. I remember fishing right outside the breakers and I started to get sick, I really didn't put it together until later, but it was probably motion sickness. I would hate to try and paddle in with seasickness, but ultimately paddling might be the only way out of it :|
I get motion sickness much worse on my kayak than boat.

https://www.pharmacyonline.com.au/kwells-tab-x-12

Dave
dnordin

Post by dnordin »

The Kayak moves more than most vessels, so it probably makes it worse. There are some things that help, the patches behind the ear work really well, the wrist bands kind of work too. Dramamine works but makes you drowsy.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

Yeah, I think I will have to be so drugged up that I wouldn't be able to even reel lol. I have used everything and it never seems to help. Each time offshore it got worse than the last time. I think I will stick to the bays and sandy surf. Thanks for the responses, I will have to live vicariously through these post.