BHP rigs yesterday

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

BHP rigs yesterday

Post by Prof. Salt »

My afternoon meeting at work cancelled at the last minute, so I ran home and loaded the kayak for a quick offshore trip. The beach near BHP is packed and smooth, and surf was looking nice. I drove down the beach a couple of miles to get the smallest distance to the rigs and launched. The water is so clear that at 50 feet I think I could see the bottom. Temps are comfortable in the lower 80s, but fish ...were not home. I paddled around each rig watching the finder and trolling baits with nothing found. Usually at least a shark or two are near the bait clouds near each rig, but yesterday I saw zero fish larger than the baitfish. I arrived back at the beach just before sunset with 14.5 miles under my belt, but al I caught were a few ladyfish on a jig bounced along the bottom near the rigs, and a few blue runners caught under some birds. Not a single run on the trolling rods. On my way out the beach was lined with thousands of birds just waiting for the bait migration to kick off. Any day now it will get busy, but I'm wondering if any swimming predators will join the birds.
Killerbee

Re: BHP rigs yesterday

Post by Killerbee »

Prof. Salt wrote:My afternoon meeting at work cancelled at the last minute, so I ran home and loaded the kayak for a quick offshore trip. The beach near BHP is packed and smooth, and surf was looking nice. I drove down the beach a couple of miles to get the smallest distance to the rigs and launched. The water is so clear that at 50 feet I think I could see the bottom. Temps are comfortable in the lower 80s, but fish ...were not home. I paddled around each rig watching the finder and trolling baits with nothing found. Usually at least a shark or two are near the bait clouds near each rig, but yesterday I saw zero fish larger than the baitfish. I arrived back at the beach just before sunset with 14.5 miles under my belt, but al I caught were a few ladyfish on a jig bounced along the bottom near the rigs, and a few blue runners caught under some birds. Not a single run on the trolling rods. On my way out the beach was lined with thousands of birds just waiting for the bait migration to kick off. Any day now it will get busy, but I'm wondering if any swimming predators will join the birds.
Man its been a strange year. I hope you get another crack at them before its over Proffesor. Thanks for the report man.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

dnordin

Post by dnordin »

Ever notice how flocks of birds tend to fly away from incoming storms way before we see the storm. The theory probably does not hold up given the timing of KBs trip. But a big storm like Ian will really churn up the gulf.
I went out off of Surfside beach yesterday not very far just past the last sandbar. It was windy when I got there at about 11, I trolled for a bit but for me it was too sloppy I tried, but the swells were making it hard. I need more practice. When I went back out just to practice paddling at about 3 the bait balls were starting to come in, one school was getting torn up but a boat blasted through the middle of school and it dissipated. It looked no one was catching anything either as far as I could tell.
Killerbee

Post by Killerbee »

dnordin wrote:Ever notice how flocks of birds tend to fly away from incoming storms way before we see the storm. The theory probably does not hold up given the timing of KBs trip. But a big storm like Ian will really churn up the gulf.
I went out off of Surfside beach yesterday not very far just past the last sandbar. It was windy when I got there at about 11, I trolled for a bit but for me it was too sloppy I tried, but the swells were making it hard. I need more practice. When I went back out just to practice paddling at about 3 the bait balls were starting to come in, one school was getting torn up but a boat blasted through the middle of school and it dissipated. It looked no one was catching anything either as far as I could tell.
If you're talking about the king fish trip that I recently did on the storm front ,that was filmed earlier when I did the top water kings as well. I was just behind on editing. Not sure if that's what you're referring to though?

dnordin

Post by dnordin »

No its not what I was thinking, I was commenting on a recent trip of yours that did not yield much. I was speculating that the fish knew a storm is coming into the gulf and went deep. I have no data or evidence to support that suspicion. Just a hunch. I know the broken parts of my body react to barometric pressure changes, and water temps, tides, moon, salinity, and other factors also play a role in what fish do, as you well know. The storm was/is hundreds miles away so it probably has no impact. I get skunked regularly as I am re-learning the hobby.
Killerbee

Post by Killerbee »

dnordin wrote:No its not what I was thinking, I was commenting on a recent trip of yours that did not yield much. I was speculating that the fish knew a storm is coming into the gulf and went deep. I have no data or evidence to support that suspicion. Just a hunch. I know the broken parts of my body react to barometric pressure changes, and water temps, tides, moon, salinity, and other factors also play a role in what fish do, as you well know. The storm was/is hundreds miles away so it probably has no impact. I get skunked regularly as I am re-learning the hobby.
10-4 I think you are right. It seems that anything diffrent will affect the bite out there. Tide,weather,watertemp,wind direction-speed,water clarity,moon phase,bait etc..... I am still learning and try to pay attention to these and many other factors.I log them into a mental data bank. It helps that I video and have that for reference to look back on conditions and time frame. The one thing that I have learned is that there are no certains out there! Tight lines man!