Only had one hour before sunset, but man what an hour!

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Only had one hour before sunset, but man what an hour!

Post by Prof. Salt »

When I left the office it was overcast and STILL. I rushed home, tossed the kayak on the trailer and fought the rush hour traffic over to the river launch. On the water, I was hurrying to the target area when I noticed a familiar sight: a redfish was slowly crawling the shoreline with an exposed back. I slowed the kayak down and tossed him a bait, and he slammed it. By the time I got to the area I wanted to fish, three lower-slot reds had already been released. When I arrived at the "zone" I had an hour before sunset, so I got busy hunting. In that hour of mirrored water and slowly moving fish, I sight casted to seven schools and pulled seven fish to the kayak. I blew stalks on a couple of super shallow crawling bulls, but the visual show was awesome. I got within flyrod distance of one bull and it turned and almost swam right to my foot. As she turned away I gently placed a plastic bait out ahead of her, but she didn't like it coming her way so she scooted off into deeper water. All too soon it was time to hustle back to the truck before it got totally dark. Not a bad way to spend an hour after work!

Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Only had one hour before sunset, but man what an hour!

Post by Kayak Kid »

"Not a bad way to spend an hour after work".

Prof., do you know the meaning of a gross understatement?

I'll be tying up some of your bend back redfish flies for a friend. It looks like the fish are pleased with them.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Kayak Kid wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:18 pm "Not a bad way to spend an hour after work".

Prof., do you know the meaning of a gross understatement?

I'll be tying up some of your bend back redfish flies for a friend. It looks like the fish are pleased with them.
:lol: Thanks, and the bendbacks are one of my go-to patterns for grassy areas or when I need a fly that doesn't push much water. Those shallow crawlers can be really skittish, but bendbacks don't usually blow the fish out.
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

The multiple spots on that one Red!