Redfish Shallow (Fall Sight casting bonAnza)

OldTownYakBoi

Redfish Shallow (Fall Sight casting bonAnza)

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Went out Sunday and Monday evening to get some marsh action in. I haven’t been fishing in a few weeks and really have just been waiting for the tides to fall some.

Sunday: Weather was pristine, 75 degree temps, wind was north @5-10 mph, tide was low and falling. Bait present was wads of small shad and tiny grass shrimp.

I didn’t waste too much time in the main bayous as I knew from prior trips that with the tide falling out the fish would probably be in the back. However, on my way to the back lakes there was a point adjacent to a deep channel that had good water movement coming around so I gave it a cast and hooked up immediately, the fish was quick, pulling my drag, I got it about 5feet from the yak before it did an acrobatic flip and spit my lure back at me. It was a giant speckled trout, not sure the exact length but looked to be greater than 25 in. This made me want to stick around to see if I could get into some bigger trout but I was focused on reds and the marshes, so I reluctantly moved on.
Around 530 it started going off, blowups all along multiple shorelines and not a boat in sight. There were so many targets I was having a hard time figuring out where to cast. I just looked for the most fired up fish I could find that I could visibly see. There were plenty of fish in sub 6in of water so those are the ones I went after. With my Vudu shad tied on I picked the shoreline apart. But on this day I missed quite of few fish due to lack of focus, probably lost 4 fish or so. But I did manage a nice 25 incher. I blame my lack of focus for the poor results.
DCB9CEAD-5AAF-4579-93AC-86A11768D73A.jpeg

So on Monday, recharged and refreshed I headed back out for revenge. Conditions were exactly the same, and like clockwork, around 530 the fish were firing off again. I split my paddle in half, lifted my drive, and quietly pushed my yak around. This time around I was locked in, and my casts were landing on a dime. The target zone was really about the size of a dinner plate, outside of that the fish were not interested. 3 of the 4 slot fish I landed had their backs out of the water, so it was a sight casting bonanza. A few of the fish I landed I was able to get within 5 yards before I casted, talk about fun and a challenge at that. As the sun began to set I started to make my way back out of the marsh. There was a ledge that went from 6 in to about 2ft, I saw a big wake and back hand casted my lure right on it. I hooked up, and after a dogged fight I landed a 27 1/2 in red, and a fat one at that.
3FD234EB-F76C-4342-9AF5-62856EEDB59F.jpeg
All in all I got 5 eats and landed 4 of the fish, a much better day for me. This time of year is magical and it’s a blessing to experience days like this. After all I’ve been waiting a whole year for experiences just like this. Fall sight casting on the Texas coast is hard to beat.
1D0630EF-4ED5-498E-825B-D503523CB8FB.jpeg
C485A31E-066B-42EA-977D-A419EA839874.jpeg
OldTownYakBoi

Re: Redfish Shallow (Fall Sight casting bonAnza)

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Sharing natures bounty with the fam. The agreement is I catch and clean, and they cook! Everything is negotiable 😉
75D65394-B3D0-465B-983C-AEE513893360.jpeg
I’ve recently been harvesting the redfish throat/wings like they do with snapper, and boy are they delicious!
1D182876-E122-497C-A3C5-607EE54320F3.jpeg
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

Great report and pictures. Fishing this time of year is hard to beat. My guides always bag the redfish throats and I agree - they are delicious. I usually just roll them in cornmeal and fry them up then pick out the meat with my finger.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Way to make it happen, Kyle. And thanks for report. Everything looks so juicy out there but I am absolutely hammered at work, so my kayak and my boat are equally pissed at me.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

with fall bull tides, shallow ain't what it used to be. :mrgreen:

Great report. We're chomping to fish all week, week after next.
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

mwatson71 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:46 pm Great report and pictures. Fishing this time of year is hard to beat. My guides always bag the redfish throats and I agree - they are delicious. I usually just roll them in cornmeal and fry them up then pick out the meat with my finger.
I need to try frying them, they were great on the grill!
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

shoffer wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:25 am Way to make it happen, Kyle. And thanks for report. Everything looks so juicy out there but I am absolutely hammered at work, so my kayak and my boat are equally pissed at me.
Thanks, get out there when you can. Been having luck with top waters on high tide cycles when fish are in the grass and the Vudu shad for sight casting when water is low.

I had a few good days with dead still wind and high water using the little spook boyo. Highly recommend
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Ron Mc wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:02 am with fall bull tides, shallow ain't what it used to be. :mrgreen:

Great report. We're chomping to fish all week, week after next.
I had just caught it at the perfect time on a very hard falling tide. Let us know how it goes!
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

You da MAN, Kyle!
Looks delicious.
Please save some for Capt. Don!

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk