The ideal Kayak Fisherman's Airbnb

wittich

The ideal Kayak Fisherman's Airbnb

Post by wittich »

I have a house in rockport that I want to start renting out soon. It is in a good location for kayak fishing, as you can easily paddle to salt lake, copano bay or rattlesnake point. I want to cater to weekend fisherman crowd. Besides having a nice, clean house on the water, is there anything specific that you guys would look for in a house you would rent ? I am guessing green lights in the canals if something many would look for. If you rented a house would you bring your own kayak or would you prefer if the house had kayaks to use? Thanks, Jeremy
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: The ideal Kayak Fisherman's Airbnb

Post by Neumie »

I would check with your insurance company regarding having kayaks available for guests. Most kayak fisherman would probably bring their own equipped kayaks, so any kayaks left for guests would more than likely just be used for fun paddling in the canals.

You need to be thinking to catering to all anglers, and not just kayakers.

Lights for night fishing (I would go with above water lights instead of submersed green lights, submersed lights tend to break more frequently and I think above water lights just work better; IMO), fish cleaning station, dock for boats, and an easy way to launch a kayak without having a big drop from a bulkhead. If the house is on stilts having sufficient lighting underneath the house for messing with the boat/kayak gear and tackle. A fenced off yard for dogs, if you're going to allow dogs. Screened in porch for the 350 days of the year mosquitos are bad.

We have a cabin on Copano we lease where we have a boat dock, fish cleaning station, and night fishing lights, but no fenced in area for our dog, screened in porch, or adequate lighting (we need headlamps) for early morning prepping.
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

A dock with steps to the water for ease of launching. Overhead lights that shine down on the water from said dock. While it is cool to see fish swimming in the underwater lights, I have caught far more fish under overhead surface lights. I will always bring my kayak if it is withing driving range but I do see the allure of using the kayaks at the rental if I didn’t have my own fleet. Fish cleaning station would be worth the investment so people aren’t cleaning fish in your kitchen. Lots of outdoor fans to keep cool and help keep bugs away. A Keurig.
dnordin

Post by dnordin »

All good answers; the only other thing I can think of is a 12V charging station, and maybe a 30 amp trailer hook up, if allowed by HOA.
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

How soon are you willing to rent it out? How many bedrooms and bathrooms? Sleeps how many? Nightly/weekly rate?
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

OP you mentioned "ideal Kayak Fisherman's Airbnb". All good answers above for the ideal set up but you won't need all of these things to get started. Many places I've stayed at in Rockport are a work in progress. BUT they all do a nice job of making sure the have a "coming soon" section on their website describing what's coming so folks are aware there is more to come. Nothing wrong with getting started generating income to work with first.
wittich

Post by wittich »

mwatson71 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:58 pm A dock with steps to the water for ease of launching. Overhead lights that shine down on the water from said dock. While it is cool to see fish swimming in the underwater lights, I have caught far more fish under overhead surface lights. I will always bring my kayak if it is withing driving range but I do see the allure of using the kayaks at the rental if I didn’t have my own fleet. Fish cleaning station would be worth the investment so people aren’t cleaning fish in your kitchen. Lots of outdoor fans to keep cool and help keep bugs away. A Keurig.
Thanks for the great ideas. The only issue I have is the steps to the water for launching a kayak. I have a dock on a canal. I have not tried launching a kayak from it yet. It could be difficult depending on the water levels. What would be a good solution to that?
motoyak

Post by motoyak »

If its feasable, a small dock with either steps or a ladder to launch from. Not as easy as a ramp or solid shoreline but doable.
Other items that would be nice is soft filtered water, hand held shower heads, grill, big screen TV for sports with good cable, ice maker and deep freeze.
You'll haveto deal with linen, towels, toileties, and cleaning too
wittich

Post by wittich »

mwatson71 wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:10 pm How soon are you willing to rent it out? How many bedrooms and bathrooms? Sleeps how many? Nightly/weekly rate?
I like going down there and fishing myself. That is the problem right now. I have spent nearly every weekend in Rockport since I bought the house in June. I plan to start renting it out thanksgiving weekend. 3 bedrooms, 2 bath. 4 beds and a pull out couch. nightly rate would very depending on the season. I am having miss kitty fishing rentals handle all of that stuff.
wittich

Post by wittich »

Neumie wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:51 pm You need to be thinking to catering to all anglers, and not just kayakers.

Lights for night fishing (I would go with above water lights instead of submersed green lights, submersed lights tend to break more frequently and I think above water lights just work better; IMO), fish cleaning station, dock for boats, and an easy way to launch a kayak without having a big drop from a bulkhead. If the house is on stilts having sufficient lighting underneath the house for messing with the boat/kayak gear and tackle. A fenced off yard for dogs, if you're going to allow dogs. Screened in porch for the 350 days of the year mosquitos are bad.

We have a cabin on Copano we lease where we have a boat dock, fish cleaning station, and night fishing lights, but no fenced in area for our dog, screened in porch, or adequate lighting (we need headlamps) for early morning prepping.
Thanks Neumie. I appreciate your guys input.