Guides setting bad example

OldTownYakBoi

Guides setting bad example

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Recently I’ve been seeing multiple guides, kayaks specifically posting large stringers of fish, the glory shot. (No big deal right) but then proceed to boast that they released all the fish.

What’s your thoughts on this behavior? Seems a little ridiculous to catch the fish, string them up, drag them around for who knows how long and then release them.

I’m all for keeping fish within your rights laid out by TPWD, but from my point of view this is ridiculous, particularly from “Guides” who are supposed to be the stewards of the resource, an example.
SWFinatic

Re: Guides setting bad example

Post by SWFinatic »

Whether it be guides or just the average person I've seen a big increase of really disappointing displays of unethical fishing practices in recent years. This is just one example. For this specific example I think a game warden would probably give that guide some what for at the least if it could be proven.

Guides get a bad rap because they fish a lot and boast a lot which is unfortunately what their customers want to see. But it's not just guides doing stuff like this.
motoyak

Post by motoyak »

If the fish are in your possesion, you are responsible for obeying the limits, regardless if you intend to release them. When I ran kayak fishing tourneys, I clarified this with the TPWD. My intent was to let contestants keep the fish in a live well so a live weigh in could happen on slot lakes. TPWD said no.
So if guides are breaking the law and it can be proven, then the game warden could get involded.
If the OP feels strongly about certain guides photos/practices then contact Operation Game Thief 800 792-GAME (4263) and let them investigate.
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

SWFinatic wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:02 am Whether it be guides or just the average person I've seen a big increase of really disappointing displays of unethical fishing practices in recent years. This is just one example. For this specific example I think a game warden would probably give that guide some what for at the least if it could be proven.

Guides get a bad rap because they fish a lot and boast a lot which is unfortunately what their customers want to see. But it's not just guides doing stuff like this.
It's unfortunate more people don't handle the resource with care, but particularly so when it's the guides who are out there every day. I didn't know if it was illegal or not, just know it's wrong. Thanks for your input.
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

motoyak wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:49 pm If the fish are in your possesion, you are responsible for obeying the limits, regardless if you intend to release them. When I ran kayak fishing tourneys, I clarified this with the TPWD. My intent was to let contestants keep the fish in a live well so a live weigh in could happen on slot lakes. TPWD said no.
So if guides are breaking the law and it can be proven, then the game warden could get involded.
If the OP feels strongly about certain guides photos/practices then contact Operation Game Thief 800 792-GAME (4263) and let them investigate.
Thanks for the input Motoyak. I believe they were in their possession limit, but what they did was collect a huge stringer over the course of the day knowing they wouldn't keep them. They only drug those fish around all day long so they could get a picture and pump their chest out, disgusting.
Roger Ramjet

Post by Roger Ramjet »

Here is an example that was published in the North Padre Island paper - the Island Moon on Aug 25. The limit here is 3 trout, 17-23 inches. I wrote a letter of complaint to the Editor and to the fishing guide, but received no response. I copied TPWD, but crickets.
Attachments
Moon 8-25-22.jpg
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Roger Ramjet wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:56 pm Here is an example that was published in the North Padre Island paper - the Island Moon on Aug 25. The limit here is 3 trout, 17-23 inches. I wrote a letter of complaint to the Editor and to the fishing guide, but received no response. I copied TPWD, but crickets.
So he caught 3 limits of trout by himself?
Endo

Post by Endo »

I don't see an issue with that photo. It's clear to me he's a guide and is holding up a stringer of his 3 clients' limits (all legal) that they caught. It does not say he released them, and I took it to mean by "prepared" it meant he cleaned and filleted them for his clients afterward. I think the issue is more related to a poorly written caption on the photo.

That said, as a general topic, no I don't agree keeping fish on a stringer knowing that you're going to release them later. I don't really have the same issue if you're using a live-well, like the situation in fishing tournaments (usually fresh water).

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

There's no reason there should be a limit on schoolie male specs.
The problem is, you can't sex them before the fillet table.
The current slot increases the probability of catching schoolie males, and saves both nursery females and adult females from the creel.

A guide who can post 3 limits for his boat knows how to find the schoolie makes, and that's worth showing off.
Selah.