Another windy but good evening

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Another windy but good evening

Post by Prof. Salt »

We all enjoy mornings on the water, with low winds and perfect conditions ...but the crowds drive me away and get me looking for other alternatives. Not all areas offer good observable redfish activity in the afternoons, but my neighborhood does. Maybe I’ve finally learned how to read the signs, but whatever the reason is, I’m enjoying fighting the wind lately to catch chunky redfish before sunset. Yesterday I started mid-day searching shallow pockets near drains, and I found a bunch of lone crawlers. Most were oversized, and they were spooky. I got within 20 feet of at least a dozen but couldn’t get them to bite. I spooked them nicely, lol but didn’t quite have the right combination. I knew they would need to be fed a fly with its quiet landing and minimal water disturbance. The fly I had on was pushing too much water and scaring fish. Oh well, live and learn. I found a few small schools working grass edges, and by 5:00 I had transitioned to working those edges and watching for hovering gulls. I caught some oversized fish but managed a pair of upper slot fish. Then I had to work and race the clock to find a third legal fish to have a limit. I found a 21” pumpkin and decided that was enough. The wind was unrelenting all afternoon, but I never saw another soul. It was perfect and after 12.5 miles I was a little sore and tired and ready to get a shower. By the time I got to the truck it was getting dark but I had found all the exercise I could ask for, and there was a solid limit of fish in the hatch. Mission accomplished.
Imagegreen shot
Endo

Re: Another windy but good evening

Post by Endo »

"The fly I had on was pushing too much water and scaring fish."

Lol, something you don't hear often..... That's next level spooky fish :D

ben_beyer

Re: Another windy but good evening

Post by ben_beyer »

WOW, very nice!