Sawmill Lake. 23-Oct-2022

deptrai

Sawmill Lake. 23-Oct-2022

Post by deptrai »

I got this fancy new Daiwa Alphas Air TW reel to allow me to cast lightweight lures further. I don’t have a match-fit rod for it yet, but put it onto one of my other rods and took it to the neighborhood lake to make some test casts with various weight lures. Everything was going good until I slung my new Heddon topwater bait out there. Massive backlash, the leader snapped and the lure went flying into the middle of the lake.
Despite this sign, I went back home, picked up the yak and paddled out to retrieve my lure.
IMG_1528.jpg
IMG_1524.jpg
IMG_1527.jpg
No fish caught and no alligator or snake bites.
I sure hope the wind dies down soon so I can get back on some real water.

Dave
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Sawmill Lake. 23-Oct-2022

Post by Ron Mc »

Thanks for the report.
You bought a fine reel there - glad you recovered your lure.

I modify my own finesse reels from larger frames and larger spool diameters, Zillion and Steez with Roro-X and Ray's Studio SV spools, and grabbed the Zillion Silver Wolf for really fine braid when the yen was plummeting this summer. My three 34-mm Daiwas all swap spools.

Just got back from Neumie's redfish rodeo where this was my most useful combo.
I'll post the view from my boat after Neumie's day reports.
While you were at Sawmill Lake, we were paddling Welder Flats - a 2-1/2-mi paddle on the ICW from Charlie's at Seadrift. A long way, but we went first against light wind and the afternoon big wind helped push us back.

But if you're looking for a finesse rod recommendation, I don't think you could go wrong with JDM Abu Salty Style - moderately priced, good tapers, and well-made.

Was telling Nina how I'm turning Japanese - my best topwater plug was also this Japanese prop-tail finesse shrimp, 65 mm with a swap to #10 trebles.

Last edited by Ron Mc on Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deptrai

Post by deptrai »

Thanks for the rod recommendation. I originally had the Dobyns Sierra Ultra Finesse, Phenix Featherlite & Old 18 Buoyancy on my list. Dobyns has a 30% veteran discount, but if you use that discount, they charge shipping! If you don't use the veteran discount, shipping is included. That and the fact that their rods are made in China really turned me off. Some of the YouTube guys have a 20% discount code for Old 18. They used to include shipping, but now don't. I drove over to Fishing Tackle Unlimited, because they are supposed to be an Old 18 dealer. They didn't have a single Old 18 rod.

So I'm still on the hunt. The Yen at about 150 to the US$ is really nice. I'm vacationing in Thailand next month. 38 Baht to the US$.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

You'd be hard-pressed to find a rod that's not made in China.
Both China and Korea rods that make the Japan market really try harder in quality, and their prices are lower to enter that market.
Two of my favorite rod brands fit this niche, Valleyhill and NS Black Hole.

A high-grade salty finesse bait rod that gets my highest recommendation is Valleyhill Hard Rockfish CPRC-72LS/RFF light (1/16 oz)
or CPRC-76MMS/RFF big fish rod from a kayak throwing 1/8 oz.
I have the MH version of this rod for winter Corky's and big 5" topwaters, but it's also a rocketship for 1/4 oz.

If you want some JDM coaching, let's take it off line - send me a pm - and I'll offer you some links to reliable vendors.
The yen is in the basement, at JY 146 to the US $.
Anytime it's more than 100 to the dollar, Japan shopping is a good bet.
I've been shopping Japan for 20 years, since you had to use a Japan-based shopping broker and pay fees.