Indianola - October 19th, 2022

Neumie
Site Admin

Indianola - October 19th, 2022

Post by Neumie »

Kicking off the 11th annual Rockport Redfish Roundup, actually started the night before with my sister and I driving down to the cabin. We had bounced some ideas on where to fish post front and settled on running north to the protected waters around Indianola. Ron and Lou had already made it down and were making a plan for their day as well; I’ll let Ron post about his day on the water.

We rolled out of the cabin with the truck pointed north and got to the launch site a little after 7am. Rigging up the rods and reels took a little longer this morning, as it always does on the first day so we didn’t get on the water until 8.

We mainly paddled the deep channels which more or less followed the road. At a pinch point near the LaSalle Monument we caught a couple of trout which would have been keepers any other year, but this year fell just short of the 17”-23” slot. We turned into the marsh and slowly started to work our way back when a red came crashing bait around a corner. I literally did not even have to make a cast and just placed my lure in front of it. Sightcasting for reds was on the schedule.

We spent the morning there looking for reds. There weren’t a lot of them, but the quality was good, and they were crushing 4” finger mullet and small shrimp. I had got my limit fairly quickly after entering the back lakes, but my sister still hadn’t caught a red. As we pushed deeper into the back lakes the reds and bait seemed to disappear, so we moved back towards the entrance where bait was plentiful. I pulled up into a cove and spotted a red with its back out of the water. I motioned for my sister to come over ans make a cast at it. It took her a couple tries, but she finally connected on her third cast; her first sightcasted red from a kayak.

We pulled out of the back lakes and decided to start paddling back to the launch. We made a quick stop at the spot where we had hooked the trout and my sister was able to string up a flounder. We got off the water around 1:30 and I weighed my largest redfish; 26.5” and just over 8lbs on the Bogs.

In fact, we were both curious what was in the stomachs of the reds we caught because all four had distended bellies. We knew finger mullet and shrimp were a given, but two reds each had something unusual in their stomachs.

One had a rat.

And another had two juvenile Tarpons.

The stomachs of the reds were so full I couldn’t believe any of them even chased after our fishing lures.

That evening Whit, William, and Andy made it down from DFW. So, speaking of full bellies, we started the annual trip off with a great meal; Flat Iron Steaks, Crab & Toasted Pecan Risotto, Grilled Shrimp, and Grilled Romaine with Parmesan.

That evening ended with a fire by the bluff, cigars, and adult beverages.

Meteorological Observations
Time: 8:00 am - 1:30 pm
Air Temp: 53°F - 63°F
Wind: 8-14 kn NNE (gusting to 18 kn)
Barometric Pressure: 1026 mb (rising)
Sky: Sunny
Water Clarity: 0-18 In
Water Temp: 63°F
Structure: Mud, Oysters

Solunar
Sunrise/set: 7:29 am/6:52 pm
Moonrise/set: 1:54 am/3:55 pm
Moon Phase: Waning Crescent (36.2%)

Predicted Tides @ Port Lavaca (MLLW)
High @ 7:34 am (0.89 ft)
Low @ 10:34 pm (0.09 ft)

Lures
Strawberry/White Norton Bull Minnow
Strawberry/White Chickenboy Pyscho Chicken
1/4oz weedless Gold Spoon

Fish
Reds: 4 Keepers
Trout: 2 “Undersized”
Flounder: 1 Keeper

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Indianola - October 19th, 2022

Post by Ron Mc »

Thanks Josh,
Great photos and awesome results.
This was the week of tides, and Tuesday was best on paper, especially for fishing passes into deeper water.

Lou and I went down a day early, and with help from Steve, Josh (by text) and cousin Darrell (by permission) set up our digs on their property.
With 6 to 9 coming for the week, this also kept us from stepping on each other in Josh's cabin.

We were hoping to fish Estes, planning to get an extra day of fishing, but the AP wind gage Tuesday morning was 24 kt NNE gusting to 28 - top that off with rain from 7 am to 4 pm. The prediction had been no rain and milder wind.
Nice sunrise on Copano

I brought DVDs and we broke up the day on Tuesday with a second breakfast in Aransas Pass (Cafe Bakery - good place, recommended by an old friend),
and a farther pilgrimage to Flour Bluff to visit Mecca - Roy's Bait & Tackle - Lou had a $100 Roy's gift card from his kids burning his wallet.

Josh and Nina joined us Tuesday night - Lou and I were just getting back from Vietnamese noodle dishes at Hu-Dat (good food).
Estes still looked good on paper for Wed, our favorite low-teens NNE. Lou and I fished Estes while Josh and Nina ran up the coast to Indianola and brought home giant redfish from tiny marsh trails.

Here's our Estes day Wednesday - beginning with sunrise heading up Trout Bayou. That's Little Cut just left of the sun.

Lou and I paddled over 8 mi, and did everything you can do on Estes. We found the Trout Bayou cut to Aransas Bay dead. We drifted Trout Bayou down to Little Cut and the flat was dead - we saw redfish in the grass, just couldn't buy a strike.

When we got to the big bay side of Little Cut, it was Hot. Good tide current, good tourist trout and respectable rat reds (up to 16" on each) attacking anything deep that passed for a 3" finger mullet.
The plug is a Japanese Ima K-Ta 58 in prismatic mullet, and I handed Lou a slightly heavier Ima lipless crank in the same pattern that also caught trout for him.

We made the mistake of not going first to Little Cut, where I caught 6 nice fish - the falling tide current from 3 am high played out in about 45 minutes after we arrived. If we had begun there 3 hours earlier, would have likely caught keeper trout and possible first-light snook.

We paddled back onto the flat to try the drifts between Little Cut and Big Cut - also dead, also saw reds - they just weren't eating.
We both got a few strikes from either trout or lizardfish on the flats.
Still, always a wonderful paddle on Estes Flats even if you don't bring home meat.

Wednesday's meal was a feast - you did great Josh - and good times catching up with friends.
roger.simonsen

Post by roger.simonsen »

Sorry we missed you guys!

Roger
saltykat
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by saltykat »

You always go all out on your trips and reports. Thanks for taking us along :cat:
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

@saltykat - thanks for posting - I was wondering where the forum went.
(fishing reports are always better than gripe threads)
Josh and Nina are amazing hosts, and there's no way to pour out enough gratitude.
It takes good friends and good effort to put together a trip like this.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

I enjoyed that excursion, RonMc. Thanks for having me along, even if only through shared photos