East Flats - October 21st, 2022

Neumie
Site Admin

East Flats - October 21st, 2022

Post by Neumie »

On Friday we decided to head to East Flats, since it’s been a reliable spot for us over the past several years. The plan this day was to start at a main drain of the flat to catch the tail end of the falling tide. We got to Island Moorings Marina around 6:30 and were ready to launch by 7.

We made the quick paddle up the channel to spot with nearly the entire group paddling there; all except my sister who trailed back working some of the smaller drains. We got the channel and everyone got out of their kayak and we immediately started to catch schooly trout.

We all hung out for about 30 minutes or so before we moved onto the flats looking for reds and throwing topwaters since it was calmer than forecast. Ron hooked up on the first drift, throwing one of his specialized set ups and bringing a middle slot red to the kayak. I had some blowups on topwater, and landed a couple just under reds. Andy Hooked up with an undersized red as well.

Andy, Ron, and I pointed the kayaks towards a couple small islands near Corpus Christi Bay. We saw some reds up along the shoreline, but couldn’t get them to bite. We met up with Whit and he had a red on the stringer.

I admittedly didn’t get many pictures today. Mostly due to being frustrated. I spent a lot of the day standing up, drifting the flats, and sight casting to reds. I did bang out a slot red eventually, but all the reds were super skittish to anything landing within 10 feet of them. Ron and Lou headed in before anyone else with Lou having strung up two reds.

Look, a pretty bird.

Anyways, ol’ reliable wasn’t so reliable. Although most of us were able to string up fish, it was what we had hoped for. As I mentioned, I had spent most of the day standing and drifting and saw a ton of redfish, but they were super skittish. I just couldn’t find a lure that would work and had me wishing I had brought my fly rod. Oh well, dinner that night was Benchwarmers/Hu Dats and we finished the night out on the bluff with a fire, beverages, and cigars.

Meteorological Observations
Time: 7:00 am - 2:30 pm
Air Temp: 70°F - 76°F
Wind: 8-15 kn SSW-SSE (gusting to 18 kn)
Barometric Pressure: 1017 mb
Sky: Sunny
Water Clarity: 12-24” In
Water Temp: 74°F
Structure: Grass, Sand Holes, Oyster

Solunar
Sunrise/set: 7:31 am/6:50 pm
Moonrise/set: 3:48 am/5:00 pm
Moon Phase: Waning Crescent (12.2%)

Predicted Tides @ Port Aransas (MLLW)
High @ 2:48 am (0.84 ft)
Low @ 8:28 am (0.72 ft)
High @ 12:09 pm (0.83 ft)
Low @ 7:37 pm (0.29 ft)

Lures
Silver Mullet Spook Jr
Pumpkinseed/Chartreuse Down South Southern Shad
PBT Buggs Double Bunny Jig
Kitchen Sink MirrOlure Lil John
Strawberry/White Chickenboy Pyscho Chicken
1/4oz weedless Gold Spoon

Fish
Reds: 6 Keepers, a few undersized
Trout: A Lot of undersized

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: East Flats - October 21st, 2022

Post by Ron Mc »

After a ferry ride to Port A, East Flats Lake couldn't be farther from the marsh, and a great contrast to both Thursday and Saturday's day trips.
But those days, too, were Great times and great exploring.

This year, we got a good start, hitting the ferry just after 6am.

Lou and I were determined this year to follow Josh to fish the cuts from the boat channel onto the flat.
We all staked our boats, waded the oyster reef, and caught our fill of dink trout.

Then we paddled as far as we could go across the lake and into the SW wind.
I got my 24" trip-fish red early on my topwater shrimp lure.

ImageImage
Unfortunately, I dropped the lure from my titanium bite trace snap after working out both trebles from a second rat red. (I came home and ordered more)

Josh working the flat.

Lunch break with Lou, and his first of two reds

And the glorious grass on East Flats Lake

Back at Josh's dock, my big red, and Josh's smaller two.