My New Hobie Lynx Setup

bbludau34

My New Hobie Lynx Setup

Post by bbludau34 »

I finally pulled the trigger on a Hobie Lynx, and got it all set up. The main idea is standing and sight casting shallow saltwater flats. The H-Bar is setup to hold a fly rod in the ready position, an NRS stripping basket attached with the H-Rail mounting plate, and an H-Rail G-Hold for the push pole. I haven’t seen another one set up this way, so I figured I’d share it. I've got everything attached for the pictures, but when flats fishing, I'll probably ditch the ff/gps and anything else non-essential.

The kayak will pull double duty as a lake rig to chase striper and white bass. I went with the Garmin Echomap Plus 43CV with Navionics US Lakes and CHIRP, powered by a Dewalt battery. Add-ons include just about everything Lynx from Navarre Kayak, tons of YakAttack, Tackle Webs seat storage, and hull protection from a Berleypro Bumper Bro and PereGuard.

Now I just need to get it out for some water trails and get everything situated in the right spot.
Lynx 1.jpg
Lynx 2.jpg
Lynx 3.jpg
Lynx 4.jpg
Last edited by bbludau34 on Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bbludau34

Re: My New Hobie Lynx Setup

Post by bbludau34 »

Lynx 5.jpg
Lynx 6.jpg
Lynx 7.jpg
Lynx 8.jpg
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Dang, you went all in on your first setup. Looking good, hopefully you get her slimed soon.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

In my opinion, you have created the best fly fishing flats boat on the water.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

FullSizeR.jpg
FullSizeR.jpg (72.48 KiB) Viewed 8139 times
Attachments
20220811_131105.jpg
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Latest and most favorite addition is Marine Mat, from Louisiana Kayak Accessories. Looks and feels nice, quiet, non slip.
bbludau34

Post by bbludau34 »

Kayak Kid wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:13 pm In my opinion, you have created the best fly fishing flats boat on the water.
Thank you. I mean, I hope so... I looked at just about every option out there and kept coming back to the Lynx. The portability, weight, standing stability, ability to cover distance and then push pole around. I think the stand up H-Bar with the stripping basket should help standing even more, while keeping a full cast at the ready and out of the way. I've been using this same push pole setup with my inflatable SUP, so I can't see any reason it wouldn't translate to the Lynx. I'm excited to get it on the water.
bbludau34

Post by bbludau34 »

Tombo wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:46 am Latest and most favorite addition is Marine Mat, from Louisiana Kayak Accessories. Looks and feels nice, quiet, non slip.
Looks good. I'm also on the marine mat waiting list.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Heya Tombo, what happened to your paddle? :)
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Since adding the Torqeedo, I leave my mirage drive and use a Werner carbon paddle.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Although I lean strongly towards the fast paddle craft, that Hobie Lynx sure looks good in a lot of ways. I've considered the similar hull options for standing and fly fishing and can't find anything comparable.
bbludau34

Post by bbludau34 »

Prof. Salt wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:32 pm Although I lean strongly towards the fast paddle craft, that Hobie Lynx sure looks good in a lot of ways. I've considered the similar hull options for standing and fly fishing and can't find anything comparable.
The other boat on my charter/demo was an Outback with turbo fins. The Outback could not keep up at all. Not sure how it would compare to a Revo, but the Lynx moves pretty quick with standard fins. So far 3mph seems standard, and I can get it up over 4mph for short periods of time.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Prof. Salt wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:32 pm Although I lean strongly towards the fast paddle craft, that Hobie Lynx sure looks good in a lot of ways. I've considered the similar hull options for standing and fly fishing and can't find anything comparable.
I believe the Lynx is about as perfect as you can get for a back lakes shallow water kayak. I have an inflatable SUP I'll toss in a back lake every once in a while. The inflatable is impossible to paddle in wind so my days on it are limited but it's the same seat height and mostly the same concept. Sitting at that level for me is perfect. Not too high where fish can spot you easily and not too low and it's quiet too. I've caught a couple reds literally off the front of the board.