Christmas Bay 30-Oct-2022

deptrai

Christmas Bay 30-Oct-2022

Post by deptrai »

Finally!
I think this was my 6th attempt at catching a keeper fish from my kayak since moving to Texas in May.
Left the house at 6:00.
house.jpg
Made my way out to Churchill Bayou while the sun was rising.
sunrise.jpg
I made a left turn into the marsh and got totally lost. When I emerged about 4 hours later, I was nowhere near where I had entered.
I was alone most of the morning, but I would occasionally see a head pop up in the distance when another kayaker stood up on their boat.
I got this fancy new Japanese Daiwa Alphas Air TW reel that the guys on YouTube said I needed to catch fish in Texas. This was the maiden voyage with the reel. I don’t yet have the fancy BFS rod to go with it, but made due with one of the 25+ rods I already have in the garage.

It wasn’t long before my Zman DieZel minnow got hammered and the drag started peeling. Since moving to Texas, I picked up one of those stakeout poles and I was “stuck out” when this fish hit. It went straight behind me and I had to tighten down the drag some. After a few runs, it had become wrapped in my line and I had to tow it in sideways to the net. My first ever Red Drum. 22”. I guess I’ve earned the right to call them “Reds” now, even though mine was more of a bronze color.
1st red.jpg
A half hour later and I was on again. This time an 18.5” flounder.
18 incher.jpg
A while later and I had a smaller flounder come off right at the net and I ended the morning with a 15.5 incher that I took home.

I’m so relieved that I finally got keeper fish from the yak in Texas. I was beginning to think that these Reds that I’ve been watching everyone catch on YouTube were fake and just a conspiracy to get me to buy more expensive tackle.
I’m impressed with the durability of the DieZel minnow. I used the same bait the whole day.
The scales on those Reds are massive. I’d hate to take one of those underneath a fingernail.
The flounder I caught spit up some small shrimp and some other small baitfish.

Can’t wait to get back out there. I know flounder is going to be closed for a while.

Dave
Last edited by deptrai on Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
deptrai

Re: Christmas Bay 30-Oct-2022

Post by deptrai »

Baitfish:
bait.jpg
My fish:
3 fish.jpg
Me:
me.jpg
Cleaning:
beer.jpg
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

there you go - welcome again to Texas.

Your dues are paid up, you've been learning and obviously watching while you're on the water.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Welcome, deprea, to our fantastic Gulf Coast fishing grounds. You have just been introduced to the tip of the 'iceberg'. The fishing and paddling adventures before you are virtually unlimited.

Tip:
1. Don't be embarrassed by the amount of fishing equipment you have, or what you spend on it. You've a long way to go before you catch up with most of the rest of us.

2. Always take a compass with you when fishing the marshes. I've known some pretty savvy guys that have become
disorientated when exploring and looking for fish.

3. The redfish are delicious when baked, broiled, or grilled, but the flounder are no good to eat this time of year. However, you can drop them off at my house so I can feed the pack of stray cats that hang out in our neighbourhood.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I'm making flounder fish tacos tonight - if I can refrain from eating for a couple minutes, I'll get a photo

<burp> Excuse me.
Buzz is right - give the flounder to him, he can feed them to his cat.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

deptral: congrats on "catching". Last year, I had a 27" red hanging on a stringer off my kayak, when I hooked up another big fish. Pulling him(or her) in, my line got around my stringer. then got wrapped around my paddle. No way I could crank it in. I grabbed the line(15# mono) with my hands, no gloves and pulled it in. It measured 32", my PB. Not the recommended way, but I wasn't gonna let that one go without a fight. I did let it go, after I showed it to my fishing buddy, so I had a witness to my PB redfish. The rare "catching" days for me make the dry run days tolerable. Keep it up! TexasJim
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

Give Galveston Island SP a try. I caught many mid slot reds. I caught specs and black drum over by the breakwater. Launch over where the Jenkins trail is.
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

Thanks for the report. Christmas Bay in the Fall is an area that I'm going to start learning so I have more opportunities to fish saltwater and relax after the busy season at work.
deptrai

Post by deptrai »

I don't know what I liked more...the Redfish or the Flounder. Both were delicious.
both.jpg
My wife's favorite was Flounder sashimi.
sashimi.jpg
Dave
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

now Kayak Kid's cat is jealous
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Welcome to the wacky world of Texas kayak fishing, Deptrai!

That nice slot Red and big Flounder would make a good fishing day for me and the other veteran anglers on TKF!

Keep your reports coming!

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk