Lights for a kayak

wittich

Lights for a kayak

Post by wittich »

I would like to install some lights on my kayak, but I don't want to run any wiring. are there any decent battery powered options?
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: Lights for a kayak

Post by Neumie »

For a navigation you only technically need a bright flash light or headlamp to meet USCG regulations. Most kayakers opt for an all-around white light for added visibility. Lots of good options on the market for those: YakAttack VISIPole II, YakAttack VISICarbon Pro (it's collapsible), RAILBLAZA Visibility Kit, and the NAVISAFE Polelight Pack. You can also build your own, like my really complicated version; click.

If you want to add red/green lights, which I do not believe any kayaker should do (especially the LED light strip kits commonly found online), NAVISAFE makes a good option. I'm sure there are cheaper options if you Google "Portable Marine Navigation Lights"
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

I’ve had LED strip lights and cockpit lights on a kayak and I’ll never do it again. Too easy to get damaged, if your kayak has a slick finish like a Hobie does the strip lights won’t stick very well and I never used them even though I was often on the water well before daylight. Having a 360 light as Neumie mentioned is a must but I don’t recommend anything else unless it’s some sort of headlamp.
motoyak

Post by motoyak »

Keep it simple Sam (KISS method). On those rare occasions I night fish, a headlamp is essencial. One that has a red filter is even better.
I agree on not wiring lights on a kayak...constant problems not to mention every bug on the river coming to bite you LOL.
For a 360 light, those cheap LED camp lanterns hung on a PVC pipe in a rod holder works just fine and really assists in night time load/unloading.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

wittich: I, too, don't want any wires or such on my kayak. I bought three LED undercounter "puck" lights at the dollar store. I got a PVC pipe fitting with a hex on the O.D., mounted the lights every other flat, and adapted it to a tube that slides down over my flag stick. A PVC pipe that fits in a rod holder would work. My kayak came with a Railblaza socket, so I used that. Those lights are really bright in the dark, and the three AAA batteries in each one will last forever, almost. I can use it on my skiff, also, with a clamp-on red/green on the bow. Less than $10 in parts. One solution. TexasJim
Attachments
20221102_143647.jpg
20221102_143335.jpg
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

TexasJim wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:50 pm wittich: I, too, don't want any wires or such on my kayak. I bought three LED undercounter "puck" lights at the dollar store. I got a PVC pipe fitting with a hex on the O.D., mounted the lights every other flat, and adapted it to a tube that slides down over my flag stick. A PVC pipe that fits in a rod holder would work. My kayak came with a Railblaza socket, so I used that. Those lights are really bright in the dark, and the three AAA batteries in each one will last forever, almost. I can use it on my skiff, also, with a clamp-on red/green on the bow. Less than $10 in parts. One solution. TexasJim
Genius.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

There's a bunch of DIY 360 lights out there. Jim yours is probably the best one I've seen. Simple and cheap yet I'm sure works.

I thought I would try a rechargeable light that has a bug zapper with it. Turns out I don't ever use the zapper function because it looks like it would be too hard to clean but the lights works pretty well. I just popped off the plastic hanger from the bottom of the light and glued it to a 1"-1/2" PVC reducer with Gorilla glue then glued the 1/2" pipe to that reducer. I put a coupling in the middle of the pipe so I can unscrew it and store it in my hatch after daylight. I made a track adapter on the bottom using a toilet flange bolt and nut and some PVC fittings. I just attach it to a gear track on my back left side so I don't hit it when I cast. Works for me.

https://smile.amazon.com/Boundery-Campi ... 137&sr=8-5
Attachments
795A1063-17D7-4DA7-B4B8-7CDA90D49A2B.JPG
683CB366-F665-451D-8897-87063DFF7FAF.JPG