sightfishing for flounder at night

wittich

sightfishing for flounder at night

Post by wittich »

I have had good success flounder gigging on foot before the season closed on 1st nov. I was wondering if anyone has tried catch and release fishing with lures or flies for flounder in the lights at night?
deptrai

Re: sightfishing for flounder at night

Post by deptrai »

Is targeting flounder legal (even if you don't keep them) during this period?
wittich

Post by wittich »

As far as I know catch and release fishing is allowed.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

deptrai wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:27 am Is targeting flounder legal (even if you don't keep them) during this period?
There's no way to tell whether an angler is or has been intentionally targeting flounder and there's no way an angler can prevent accidentally catching a flounder. TPWD has closed the fishery meaning it is not legal to retain any flounder during the closed season. That said to go out and intentionally target flounder isn't right in my opinion especially if you know how easy their mouth's are to tear.
wittich

Post by wittich »

Up until 2 days ago you were allowed to gig 5 flounder per night. I find that to be an excessive strain on a fishery. I have no idea if catch and release flyfishing at night will be effective, but if you are using small flies and small hooks I believe it will have a minimal impact on the flounder fishery. Personally, I have more of an ethical issue with people keeping speckled trout after the recent freeze killed so many.