White's Point on Nueces Bay?

TexasJim

White's Point on Nueces Bay?

Post by TexasJim »

Does anyone know if you can drive through Portland to White's Point, and launch a kayak from there? Google Maps shows Rd. 63 goes down there. Anyone ever fished that area, the oyster reefs or over to the marshes north of the river? Prof. Salt fishes the marshes, but it's too long a paddle for me to launch in the river and get there. I'm not as resilient as Glenn Madman! Not many of us are. Thanks, TexasJim
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Re: White's Point on Nueces Bay?

Post by Prof. Salt »

About 35 years ago I went to a launch over there, but I haven't launched from that side since. Halfway between Whites Point and the river mouth is a huge oyster reef that has got to hold some good trout. In fact there are lots of shallow oyster structures out in that part of the bay.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Thanks, Glenn. Since I live northward, that would be a lot closer for me, not to mention a much shorter paddle. I, too, have seen the extensive reefs SW of White's Point on Google Earth, and suspect that would be a great spot to search in a kayak, and maybe it's not over-run with powerboats. Always enjoy your posts. I'll explore the area and come back with a 35-year progress report. TexasJim
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

I scouted it years ago while college, everything I found near White's Point is private roads to the water.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Thanks, Josh. I wondered about that, but the sat maps don't seem to show gates, except for the obvious wellsite properties. I'll take a drive out there and give it a look-see and report back. Maybe I can find the historic Rosario graveyard? I saw a couple of one-hole Rides for sale on TFF and thought about you. They looked brand-new and were red! TexasJim