Christmas Bay 6-Nov-2022

deptrai

Christmas Bay 6-Nov-2022

Post by deptrai »

After my recent success, I had to go back out today to prove that last week wasn’t an accident. Since it’s after November 1st, I fully expected to land five 20” flounder. At the end of the day, I only landed one 16 incher and released it to fight another day.

I got to the ramp a little earlier than last week and was the only one there. It was still dark so I slowly unloaded all my stuff and got eaten alive by mosquitos. I was wearing shorts and they attacked any exposed flesh.

By the time I pushed off, there was only one other truck in the parking lot and it was a guy getting ready to wade.
I don’t like the idea of getting run over so I slowly made my way to Churchill Bayou hugging the shoreline. I think it was my third cast that was another backlash that sent my DieZel minnow flying. Great! Now I get to tie a new leader in the dark.

By the time I re-tied, it was light enough to make my way into the marsh maze that I was in last week. It wasn’t too long before I was hooked up. Not sure what it was. It didn’t take any long runs and it wasn’t erratic like a flounder. It swam straight under the kayak like a dead weight and came unhooked.

About a half hour later, I was staked out at the entrance of a choke point where the water was flowing pretty good. A fish swam right past me coming from behind and left a cloud of dust in the water. I cast toward the direction it swam and I was on again. This time I recognized the pull of a Redfish. This dude was all over the place. I pulled my stakeout pole and let him take me for a sleigh ride. After several runs, into the net was a 21 incher.
IMG_1626.jpg
After the excitement wore down, I had some water and a celebratory Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup. I checked my leader and reapplied some Procure shrimp scent. I push-poled up-current about 25 yards, stuck the pole in the ground and made another cast. On again. A repeat of the first fish, but this one was about 22”.
IMG_1632.jpg
Not nearly as many fish spotted as last week, but just as much fun. With as much success as I’ve had at Christmas Bay, it’s going to be hard to go anywhere else.
IMG_5335.jpg
IMG_1639.jpg
Dave
deptrai

Re: Christmas Bay 6-Nov-2022

Post by deptrai »

IMG_5332.jpg
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Thanks for that great report! One of my favorite places to fish in one of the best times of year to do it.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

too bad about the mosquitos - quick dry long pants should be the norm.
DEET also works, so does waving a cigar.

Great report - no accident.
deptrai

Post by deptrai »

This morning I discovered the extent of the mosquito attack was much more severe than first thought. Worse than I've ever experienced. I found three patches of about 20 bites each on my back. More patches near my elbows. I was wearing a long-sleeved sun protection shirt and they bit right through it. I think the attacks were mostly limited to the time before the sun came up.
I do wear Columbia PFG Blood & Guts pants to protect my legs from the sun.
I will definitely put the pants on before I get out of the truck next time and I'll also spray myself down with chemicals.
Dave
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

the biggest problem with fall mosquitos is bird migration.
Birds carry diseases the mosquitos can transmit to us, including West Nile and Zina virus.

Funny kid-fish story about mosquito repellent.
Older daughter was 4 when she caught her first fish. Just after dinner and sunset from a boat dock on Lower Laguna Madre. Calm evening, and the most important part was a spray with Cutter to keep the mosquitos from eating us. When Taylor caught her nursery trout, realized I left the camera upstairs, and ran back to get it, just keeping the fish in the water. After the photo, when we tried to release the fish, it went belly-up. Didn't make sense because we were generally kind to it.
"I didn't want the mosquitos to eat the fish, so I sprayed it with Cutter"

Messing with chemicals including sunscreen, ProCure on your lures is helpful to mask the taste of us, chemical and steel on your lures.

Fishing Reports are the bread-and-butter of TKF - keep them coming.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Deptrai, enjoyed your detailed fishing report and photo of those 2 gorgeous bronze Reds. Cooked right, they'll be delicious, too.

I'm with you on the quest for Flounder. Although it's "NO-keeper November," I love finding & landing those sassy flat critters. Good news is we can also find them at our favorite seafood restaurants.

I second what Capt. Shoffer said. This time of year that area rocks. Hope to get over there soon.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

There are no fish in Christmas Bay this time of year. Nor Churchill Bayou. Nothing to see here. Now please move along.