Well hello there

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Well hello there

Post by Prof. Salt »

I hunted with the longbow this season and last week got an opportunity at a truly large buck. I know his rack wouldn't win any contests, but he was an absolute unit of a deer (the game camera caught him as I watched and waited for shooting light. He chased does around off and on but eventually he slipped up. The shot he gave me was quartering away at 14 yards, and the arrow buried to the fletches on impact. Within ten yards of running it had pulled out the opposite shoulder and I was excited to take up the trail.
I waited for a couple of hours and then began my search. After a while he turned from an open area into thicker brush and slowed to a walk. The blood trail got really good for several yards, and where he stopped there was a big pile of blood. Then there was nothing... I spent a few hours looking for the faintest sign and then switched to grid searching. When it got dark I gave up in frustration, knowing that the 80 degree temps would result in a deer I couldn't eat by the next day. I was crushed, and decided to park the longbow and go back to the compound. The arrow had gone where I wanted it to with the longbow, but the failure to collect my prize really shook my confidence. I didn't want to possibly injure or lose another deer, and the compound has always shot exactly where I settled the pin. A week later I was back hunting, and after a bunch of deer came and went I had a nice one walk in and begin to feed. He was meaty enough to fit my needs, so I settled the pin and touched the release trigger. The deer bounded down a lane and cut into the brush, and after a short wait I went down to check the arrow. It was coated in good blood, and the trail was easy enough to follow. Recovery was straight forward and now all my nephews can look forward to their own batch of jerky for Christmas while I resume daily practice sessions with the longbow.

Kitsune

Re: Well hello there

Post by Kitsune »

Getting it done on all fronts! Texas is so fun!