Churchill Bayou 26-Dec-2022

deptrai

Churchill Bayou 26-Dec-2022

Post by deptrai »

Flight was cancelled so no trip to see the family this Xmas.
I still have the week off work and today’s wind forecast looked like the best opportunity.
It was still a little choppy in the morning.
IMG_2277.jpg
IMG_2276.jpg
I’ve been struggling casting my new Daiwa Alphas Air TW so I spent some time over the weekend adjusting spool tension and brake and stripped about 1/3rd of the line off the spool. I also found out that I haven’t been routing the line through the Twing thing properly. That has really been pissing me off as the level wind wasn’t laying the line down on the spool evenly. Now that that is all sorted, I was making some 100’+ casts in the backyard.
2nd cast this morning and I got another damn backlash. As I’m trying to clear it, a stupid Redfish picks up my bait and takes off. I had no choice but to reel it in over the backlash. A 20.5 incher into the net.
keeper.jpg
Got the backlash sorted and had relatively problem-free casting the rest of the day.

The tide was very low today so an attempt at going into the marsh resulted in a quick u-turn. I didn’t see a single baitfish jump today, but I did see a few birds crashing and marked some bait on my sonar in deeper (10’-13’) water.
The wind direction was opposite the tide movement. I was trolling into the wind, just keeping my Diezel Minnow bouncing on the bottom and a 2nd Redfish picked it up. This guy was about a half inch shy of coming home with me.
short 1.jpg
deptrai

Re: Churchill Bayou 26-Dec-2022

Post by deptrai »

Ended the day with one last rat Red.
short 2.jpg
I found a tackle box today. If anyone can describe it and its contents, I’ll try and get it back to you.

Water temp ranged from 48.5F to 51.1F.
me.jpg
Dave
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

Congrats! I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again - Christmas Bay/Churchill Bayou is one if my favorite winter fishing spots. I’ve pulled more big trout out of there than any other upper coast body of water.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

Very nice! Sorry about your cancellation..