Making it work in high wind

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Making it work in high wind

Post by Prof. Salt »

Tonight I really wanted to put in a few miles on the kayak but the wind was blowing a gale. Oh well, that hasn’t stopped me before so I grabbed a rod and headed to the bay to see if I could find some visible redfish while getting some exercise. Over a ten mile circuit I managed to scrape together a respectable limit and get safely back to the truck by dark. Crossing the open bay was a very wet adventure (both directions), but the bay water has warmed a lot since the recent freeze, and it wasn’t too bad. Fish were 23, 25.5 and 28, and all were caught in 4-7” of water while feeding very visibly. I lost another good fish when it pulled the hooks before getting into the net, but no complaints here. I was just happy to get some miles in and come home with fish!
SWFinatic

Re: Making it work in high wind

Post by SWFinatic »

Nice I agree it was blowing pretty good Friday. I was in Rockport but had to bring the camper home so no kayak and way too windy for the inflatable SUP board. Went for a wade over in Port bay but only managed one keeper and a few dinks.
deptrai

Post by deptrai »

Nice trip. I'd rather fish in the rain than wind.

That there is my favorite Texas lure so far. I have one that's been tied on for a couple months and it just won't die.

Dave
Last edited by deptrai on Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Definitely been a long time since I paddled 10 plus miles, but I never wished I hadn’t gone that distance when I did. High Wind can complicate fishing and navigating, but then on the other hand wind can offer some enhanced fishing opportunities. I should fish weedless more often than I do in the saltwater as I have no prejudice against weedless fishing freshwater. Having three redfish to clean isn’t a burden but a joy. Personally, I love eating redfish and I am in no way a trout or flounder snob when it comes to table fare. Food and tastes are a mystery, though, and well not everyone likes the same stuff.
wittich

Post by wittich »

Great part of the wind is that it keeps nearly everyone off the water.
saltykat
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by saltykat »

Great report yours and a few others on tkf keep me up on the saltlife while I’m in Chicago for 9 months of the year
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

Thanks for sharing. I have become a friend of the wind more and more as I have learned the structure of the places I fish.Nonetheless, you sure do put the fish in fishing Prof Salt!
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

saltykat wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:03 pm Great report yours and a few others on tkf keep me up on the saltlife while I’m in Chicago for 9 months of the year
Ouch… I thought my little two month break was bad… at least I’m still in Texas. Yes, Prof Salt and the like keep me eager to get back out there too. Best wishes up there.