Henri custom rods

wittich

Henri custom rods

Post by wittich »

I did not realize how much of a difference a high modulus rod can make in feeling a bite. A few weeks ago I had a guided trip w/ Jay Watkins. My buddies are mainly flyfisherman & they brought along some inexpensive spin casting rods . One guy had an ugly stick & another guy had a heavy duty spin rod that probably would been good for bull reds, but lacked the sensitivity to feel a trout bite. I had an entry level bait casting rod. Jay hooked one fish after another right next to us. He probably landed 4 fish to every one that I caught. I landed 3-4 trout to every fish that my buddy with his heavy duty rod caught. He could not feel the bites.

I remember a similar trip fishing with Capt Fil Spencer. Of course, these guys are masters at the game, but it is frustrating to be 10 feet from another angler and watch them hook fish after fish and you are barely feelin a bite.

After talking to Jay I decided to upgrade my equipment and I bought a Henri rod. Last weekend I went out and caught 10-12 speckled trout. It was much more obvious when a trout picked up my plastics compared to using an inexpensive rod. If you are looking to up your trout game, then you need a high modules graphite rod. Steve Henricksen makes some great ones. The cost is around 350-425. He does not have a website, but If anyone is interested you can send him an email at Shenriksen6@gmail.com
DHardy

Re: Henri custom rods

Post by DHardy »

Great post. Getting the right action, rod length, reel seat and cork grips custom fit to you in a lightweight package is quite different from a factory. If you can afford to shell out the cash, I recommend going for it. St. Croix, G.Loomis, Kistler, etc. make outstanding rods, but after fishing custom, you notice that they are overbuilt, weigh more and have heavier than advertised actions. That said, it’s hard to beat a G.Loomis NRX.
Best,
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

From now into March and April, the main food for trout, redfish and snook will be glass minnows. Winter shrimp are also tiny.
The other winter choice is imitating 6" mullet on big topwaters and Corkys.
Trout will take larger flashy lures for slashing into a bait ball, but both redfish and snook are particular about the right size individual bait.
Big fish don't exert a lot of effort sipping tiny bait, because they don't gain much back.
The right finesse tackle will solve both the bait size and strike-feel issues for you.

he's hopping off the table, and went right back into the channel

The good rods today are made using Toray prepreg - carbon fabric, employing helical layers in addition to linear fibers to give the needed stiffness and especially strength in lighter-weight blanks.

some Japan salt finesse rods will give you extreme lure weight range combined with fish-turning backbone.
These rods are in the $200 range. At 80 g, this Abu Garcia example is shocking-light-in-hand. Easily casts 3 g past 120'
Kurodai is black sea perch.

They work - an Arroyo stringer from last winter - overnight for 3 licensed fishers, legals limits, all schoolie males, including Susie's 25" buck

yes, this winter's limits are different, 3 fish, 17-23", which maximizes odds of catching only schoolie males.
We've always targeted 17" trout at Arroyo, and only kept smaller when they were injured (and legal), because of the risk of a nursery female.
dnordin

Post by dnordin »

I was a mate on a charter boat for many years, at that time it was bad form to out fish the customers, we should be teaching them instead. But I get your message loud and clear regarding gear.