Christmas Bay 14-Jan-2023

deptrai

Christmas Bay 14-Jan-2023

Post by deptrai »

I usually listen to this guy on am radio on the early morning drive to the coast. I think its 610 am. He talks about fishing half the time and deer hunting the other half. Today he and his guest were saying that fishing on the Texas Gulf coast sucks the first two weeks in January. Low tides and full moon give the fish lockjaw. Oh well. I was already committed.

As I pulled up to the launch, 5 other kayaks were just pushing off and I saw a 6th already in the water in the distance. I’m afraid to get there in the dark, because the last time I did, I was eaten alive by mosquitos.
IMG_2426.jpg
I knew where I wanted to go. A part of the bay I hadn’t been to before. I saw a kayaker in this spot 2 or 3 weeks ago and he said he landed about 20 flounder. As I made my way to the secret flounder spot, I came across a group of duck hunters. I dicked around for about 20 minutes trying to figure out how I could get around them without interrupting their hunt. I decided just to let the tide take me out into the middle of the bay far enough to where I thought I wouldn’t disturb them. I finally made it around them only to come upon a second lone duck hunter in a kayak. Those decoys with the flapping wings really do stand out.

While I again contemplated how to get around a duck hunter, I tossed the trusty paddle tail over the side and drifted with the tide. I got bit. Once, twice and a third time in quick succession. And I missed the fish all three times. I brought in my bait, reapplied the secret sauce and made a u-turn to troll back through the same spot. This time I didn’t miss. I drove the hook home into the top of a Redfish’s mouth. It was a pretty good tidal flow with the wind and the fish took full advantage of it. He was going every which way and I was following his every turn. It took me a good 5 minutes to get the largest fish I’ve caught yet in Texas into the net. A 25.5” Red.
IMG_2427.jpg
I fished the same area for a few more hours and ended the day with 2 keeper Reds, a short Red and 2 short flounder.
IMG_2432.jpg
IMG_2429.jpg
I went straight across the bay back to the launch. I never knew it was relatively deep out there. I was imagining the whole bay was 2’ deep. I metered some areas at 7.5’.
I’m still learning how to best fillet those Reds. I do OK, but could be better. Those suckers are slippery. I cut my hand before I cut the fish.

I’d like to get a large plate of HDPE to use as a fillet board.

My wife really wants some flounder. I haven’t caught a keeper since October 30th.

Dave
Last edited by deptrai on Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
deptrai

Re: Christmas Bay 14-Jan-2023

Post by deptrai »

14" flounder.
IMG_2430.jpg
My knife sharpener works!
IMG_2450.jpg
Red head.
IMG_2449.jpg
deptrai

Post by deptrai »

IMG_5961.jpg
Is this a worm?
IMG_2448.jpg
The secret spot.
secret.JPG
Dave
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Wow, Deptrai !! Sometimes it sounds like you don't know WTF you're doing, then you stumble into solid keeper fish. Happens to all of us, lol.

Great and funny fishing report with photos on top. Thanks, man.

Keep it up and you might get to fish with the Hobie Navy. Maybe help us stumble into some keeper fish...

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Excellent. Enjoyed the tale.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Well done, Deptrai! Xmas bay in the winter is always fun. As for that thing on the red, could be a worm, but my experience has been in the winter, fish will have parasites on the outside from hunkering close to muddy bottoms. They normally don't look like that, though. Usually more natural color, like little tiny shrimp.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

That looks like an anchor worm on the redfish.

A 25.5” redfish can really pull the line if they are in the mood. Middle to upper slot redfish are generally fun to fight, some of the tussles I’ve had with them are memories I have kept for years.

If you like blackened fish in general, blackened redfish is divine. I’d cook it outside though or have an excellent vent as to do it right, the skillet should blazing hot and there will be considerable smoke. Paul Prudhomme, R.I.P., has the best recipe.

You might invest in a cut proof glove for your off hand. I use one when I clean redfish.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

great results - very nice fish, and a great report
deptrai

Post by deptrai »

Ron Mc wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:03 am great results - very nice fish, and a great report
I caught everything on the Omen Green rod you recommended. ML power handled them well. If I were to get a 2nd (which I might), it'd be Light power.

Dave
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

deptrai wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:08 pmI caught everything on the Omen Green rod you recommended. ML power handled them well. If I were to get a 2nd (which I might), it'd be Light power.
Dave
Dave, the Omen Green ML is the least expensive rod I fish inshore, and will never be without it.

I sent you a pm with links to some L JDM salt finesse rods.