Brazoria 12-Feb-2023

deptrai

Brazoria 12-Feb-2023

Post by deptrai »

I’ve been spending way too much time in Christmas Bay so I decided to change it up and hit a new body of water today. I’m not even sure what you call the place. It’s labeled “Boat Ramp Crew Change Spot” and it’s in Brazoria County just south of Freeport.

The ramp is pretty nice and not crowded at all.
I launched right around 7:15 to a beautiful sunrise.
1.jpg
2.jpg
I was headed for Pelican Lake, but never made it there. I came upon the only other kayak on the water before me and asked him if I was headed in the right direction. He said I was, but graciously invited me to stay with him as he had landed several Redfish before I got there. I watched him land two more before I got my act together and landed my 1st 21” fish of the day.
r1.jpg
He decided to check out another area so left me on my own. I wasn’t about to leave fish to find fish. I’m glad I stayed put, because I proceeded to land another 20 fish at that spot over the next several hours.
Only one more keeper Red, but added a 19” trout to the bag as well. All others were Reds…anywhere from 12” to several at 19”.
r2.jpg
The oysters took a lot of my tackle today. My 12# flouro leader might need to be upgraded for future trips. Two Reds were caught on a Skelly Shrimp (just because I wanted to prove they would eat it) and everything else was on the trusty Diezel Minnow.
When I got back to the ramp there was a Fish Checker in the parking lot. Not sure how long he was there, but he said I was the only one with fish that he had checked so far.

Not many mosquitoes today, but something managed to bite me good.
I didn’t have a chance to try out my new anchor trolley with the stakeout pole, because there was no mud. It was all hard shell.

Dave
deptrai

Re: Brazoria 12-Feb-2023

Post by deptrai »

r3.jpg
r5.jpg
trout.jpg
all 3.jpg
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Good fishing report and photos, Dave! I agree about not leaving fish in order to catch them. That friendly kayaker preferred fishing alone but did you a big favor.

Keep 'em coming because the fishing reports are sparse this time of year.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Excellent report. Know that launch fairly well and there’s tons of quality and reachable water in most every direction available. Nothing wrong with a parcel of sub-slot redfish with a slot or two thrown in for the table tugging the line. tguff here on TKF back in the day crushed the fish launching there.

I can already tell the OP has a nose for fish. I expect embarrassing amounts of catches as time goes on.
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

Thanks for the report and photos. I think it about time for me to get out on the water soon. We are approaching one of my favorite times of year.
deptrai

Post by deptrai »

karstopo wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:54 pmI can already tell the OP has a nose for fish. I expect embarrassing amounts of catches as time goes on.
You've almost certainly jinxed me now! I might as well take up golf.

Dave