Feb North Jetty trip, Bolivar

EastTNFishn

Feb North Jetty trip, Bolivar

Post by EastTNFishn »

I was thinking about headed out to the North Jetty Bolivar area with a friend of mine Sunday 2/19.

I have never fished the jettys, is this a good time of year to try it? Maybe less boat traffic?

this will be a day after the cold weather front thats blowing through, I am hoping it will be calm enough to fish but not experienced enough to know how the water moves there. if its too rough looking i will look at the area for a Plan B.

Thanks in advance for any information/advice.
Yakety_Yak

Re: Feb North Jetty trip, Bolivar

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Since you are new to fishing on a kayak, I would not recommend fishing the Bolivar North Jetty (especially if you are fishing the ship channel side and are by yourself). This could be dangerous. I would post up in the Saltwater section and see if you get some hits for the future. PM me your info and I will be glad to hook up for some fishing with ya sometimes.
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

I’d take Blake’s advice. I’d also take him up on a fishing trip. He knows what he’s doing and is good company to fish with.
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

It's definitely doable on a calm day. That's what you should aim for. There's a buoy in the channel that measures the speed of the current on the NOAA website. You should check that as well.
EastTNFishn

Post by EastTNFishn »

Thanks guys for your response and info.

We did make it out at first light, was super calm, nice and no wind. THEN, the boat traffic started. we made it to the boat pass and decided to go through over to the beach/bolivar side of the north jetty. much calmer over there, water was chocolate. my buddy caught a huge bull red inside corner of the pass on edge of the moving water, only bite/catch of the day. we did not use live bait, just plastic. We didnt see anyone else hooking up either.

GETTING back through the boat pass against the current was difficult and dangerous in my opinion and wont be trying it again for a while. current was like rapids and the amount of boats enjoying the nice day searching for fish added to the risk of making it through.

was a nice experience, learned alot. The tide was all the way out when we arrived and i got to ride the tide back in to the ramp without pedaling, just drifting along the rocks.

There was a massive fire towards Crystal Beach, never heard what happened down there

this weekend looks very promising for some back lake fishing

Thanks again

East TN
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

mwatson71 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:22 am I’d take Blake’s advice. I’d also take him up on a fishing trip. He knows what he’s doing and is good company to fish with.
Thanks for the kind words. :)

EastTNFishn wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:22 am GETTING back through the boat pass against the current was difficult and dangerous in my opinion and wont be trying it again for a while. current was like rapids and the amount of boats enjoying the nice day searching for fish added to the risk of making it through.
I'm glad to hear you guys had a good time. I would definitely go with someone that has experience in the future of that area. What may seem a calm day can turn into rippin tides and nasty waves in no time. I've been there and seen it so just passing along information. Due to my experience as a offshore kayak angler, I feel that it what kept me from turtling. I made it back to the launch with no problems. I will say that I have fished this area many times with no issues. The bite is either on fire or not so much. It also depends on what time of year you go there as well.

In closing, glad to hear you made it through okay and had a great time. Keep those lines wet and good luck out there. :)

PS: Feel free to hit me up for some fishing. 832-588-7091 I have this thing called a wife. If she let's me go, count me in, lol.
EastTNFishn

Post by EastTNFishn »

Thanks for the reply and the information. I for sure agree, I'd feel better going out there with someone who has seen the conditions change quickly and understand when its time to call it and not push for one more bite.

I am very cautious on the water, and that trip had me nervous to be honest. Once I made it back through the pass I headed for the ramp

For sure, I would like to join up for a trip one day. I have been going to tiki at night once a week and havent had great luck since first of Feb and a few good nights in Jan. When i caught my limit of reds it was generally on the same set of lights, deeper water and they hit it on the fall close to the bottom, sometimes it was as soon as it hit the water. nights were cold 45-52 windy

Last thursday night I caught a slot red 5 minutes in the water on the first oyster reef and then had a trout off the dock and that was it for me. I left some fish biting in some lights but they wouldnt hook up, buddy down sized to like a 2" paddle tail and started hooking up, caught 7 only 2 keepers.

im really wanting to get back in some skinny water back lakes and see whats going on.... I've seen on here and other places that the reds are active the "mud Boils"

Thanks again