Boat Ramp Crew Change Spot report 19-Feb-2023

deptrai

Boat Ramp Crew Change Spot report 19-Feb-2023

Post by deptrai »

No keepers for me on this day. I caught two short reds & a short flounder.
I blame the poor results on the fact that I forget to take a picture of the sunrise.
Like last weekend, I intended to go to Pelican Lake. Like last weekend, I never made it there. I stopped short and picked up a 17” red within my first few casts. After working that area hard for nothing more, I moved on back toward the lake. Although the Freeport tide was incoming after 8am, the water was dumping out of Pelican Lake swiftly and I couldn’t make my way to it. Too shallow to peddle and I was going backwards trying to push-pole my way.
I turned around and went back to where I caught the first fish and picked up one more shorty.
r.jpg
I explored a couple of other areas and ended up snapping off my DieZel MinnowZ. Yikes! I didn’t have any more in my tackle bag. My #1 confidence bait was gone. I retied and put on a Gulp. I’ve never caught a damn thing on Gulp until today. Picked up this short flounder before calling it a day.
f1.jpg
f2.jpg
Another first for me today was tying an FG knot in my kayak. I tied one last night in my living room and it made casting today so much better than with the double uni and Yucatan knots I’ve been using to this point.
I also upgraded my fluorocarbon leader from 12# to 15# and it never broke.
It was much more crowded than last week. There were probably seven kayaks and ten boats out there this morning.
Now where am I going to go next weekend?
Dave
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Boat Ramp Crew Change Spot report 19-Feb-2023

Post by Dandydon »

Nice trip and report despite your catch of shorties. That's a great name for illegal fish, Dave. I've caught millions of 'em.

Like you I tie Uni and loop knots, but what is your FG knot? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

deptrai

Post by deptrai »

The FG knot is supposed to be one of the smallest line-to-line connections. It allows the main line to leader line knot pass through the guides easily.

Tough one to learn, but I think I've got it down now.

https://youtu.be/ZPTzkep9xlI

Dave
saltykat
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by saltykat »

Gulp swimming mullet is my favorite flounder bait, keep using it and you will catch plenty of fish with it. I've caught reds when it was just sitting on the bottom while eating a sandwich. If you're looking for some new water to fish it's hard to beat east matty.