St Charles & Carlos Bay

wittich

St Charles & Carlos Bay

Post by wittich »

ST charles redfish.jpg
wittich

Re: St Charles & Carlos Bay

Post by wittich »

I got a chance to fish on Sunday. Man, was it a beautiful day on the water. We launched the skiff at St Charles and crossed the bay and ran up a narrow channel in Cedar bayou. The water was super low and we beached the Hells bay on a sand bar. Luckily that skiff is light and we were able push the boat off the sand and back in water deep enough to get the skiff to float. I thought we would be stuck there.
The tide was rushing out into the gulf. You could free line a lure and watch the line run off your spool as it was carried out in the rip tide. I would love to be back there on a summer day with a calm surf. Unfortunately we did not get any bites at that spot. We headed back to fish islands in Carlos bay and Shorelines in St Charles. We found one cove that was stacked with bait. I got one nice redfish out of group of 4 to charge my fly. I missed the 1st eat, but this fish was hungry and decided to eat again. We only found fish that were on shallow flats adjacent to deeper water.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

I really enjoy that area of our coast. Just another reason I enjoy kayaks, getting beached isn’t a problem :lol: A buddy and I went duck hunting on a Carolina Skiff that we had to get unstuck off dry land when we returned from hunting. Didn’t think that boat could weight so much. That’s a long trip for a kayak though :wink: Thanks for sharing about that area.
wittich

Post by wittich »

Kitsune wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:20 am I really enjoy that area of our coast. Just another reason I enjoy kayaks, getting beached isn’t a problem :lol: A buddy and I went duck hunting on a Carolina Skiff that we had to get unstuck off dry land when we returned from hunting. Didn’t think that boat could weight so much. That’s a long trip for a kayak though :wink: Thanks for sharing about that area.
Kitsune,
I have had three boats. If you don't use them frequently you will have engine problems, batteries die, & gasoline gets bad. It can be headache. I love the simplicity of kayaking. The problem is that there are so many people on the water now. I feel the best strategy for me when I am fishing solo is going to be strapping a kayak onto my skiff and then deploying the kayak in a more remote area. Most skiffs are limited in how shallow they can go and can't access narrow creeks. Most kayakers will only paddle 1-2 miles from the kayak launch.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Great weather after the last front blew through.
thanks for the report
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

wittich wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:18 am
Kitsune wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:20 am I really enjoy that area of our coast. Just another reason I enjoy kayaks, getting beached isn’t a problem :lol: A buddy and I went duck hunting on a Carolina Skiff that we had to get unstuck off dry land when we returned from hunting. Didn’t think that boat could weight so much. That’s a long trip for a kayak though :wink: Thanks for sharing about that area.
Kitsune,
I have had three boats. If you don't use them frequently you will have engine problems, batteries die, & gasoline gets bad. It can be headache. I love the simplicity of kayaking. The problem is that there are so many people on the water now. I feel the best strategy for me when I am fishing solo is going to be strapping a kayak onto my skiff and then deploying the kayak in a more remote area. Most skiffs are limited in how shallow they can go and can't access narrow creeks. Most kayakers will only paddle 1-2 miles from the kayak launch.
Do you think the kayak crowds have increased that much? I have noticed more fly fisherman guides and a few more airboats, but not too bad. I’m looking at getting a longer kayak that is narrower so I can kayak 3-4miles to destination and then start fishing. I like the idea of using a kayak as a mothership for my wading trip. Like a stealth or eddyline.

Yeah, powerboats just never fit me. I get asked to go all the time but usually always turn it down. The noise, lack of maneuverability, and cost are just a few things.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Excellent report, glad to read Cedar Bayou is flowing again. We used to run our center console over to Ayres and Mesquite Bays, I always enjoyed fishing those northern shorelines. Sundown Bay just off the ICW is another good spot for reds and drum.

I've mothershiped my kayak to barrier islands a handful of times, but I found more of a hassle especially with more than 2 people.

I agree there are more kayakers on the water nowadays, and boats, and airboats, but it doesn't really bother me as I usually paddle far enough away from the crowds to fish.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

Good points Neumie. I used to let the crowds bother me but now I get more excitement out of people fishing. I have also come to realize the fish are not as bothered by the crowds as much as I thought. I definitely can understand OP wanting to get back in places that no one really goes. Those are special days too.

I do like powerboats… just not particularly for flats fishing, but they sure are fun!