Boat report

saltykat
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Boat report

Post by saltykat »

Dandy Don and I planned this trip a few days ago. We met at the marina at 7am and headed out into the bay, we fished shorelines, coves and mid bay reefs with no luck. I had two bites and missed them both. We found mullet in some areas and tried a variety of mirrolure’s, soft plastics and top waters. Water has warmed up and spring is here and the best trout fishing of the year is behind us. I’ve had a hard time catching them from the boat the few times I took it out hopefully that will change before I my vacation is over :cat:
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Boat report

Post by Ron Mc »

Every now and then, you have to pay dues.

My dad absolutely would never get out of the boat.
One day, we drifted Long Reef without a fish - Stevo was with us.
Let me show you something Dad.
We beached the boat beside Long Reef. Steve and I got out and wade-fished. Dad fished from the back of the boat.
Steve and I each got a red limit.

No offense, I can't believe the best is behind in February.
Tides are only getting better from now until May.
saltykat
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by saltykat »

Ron, To me winter trout fishing is my favorite time of year so that’s how I feel. I usually catch a dozen or two big trout over 25” this was the worst winter I’ve had since I’ve been kayak fishing for numbers and size. So far I’ve caught about one third of last years totals. My first day last winter I caught more big trout than I did this whole winter :cat:
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

My favorite is to hit the tide passes on strong current and imitate the glass minnows.
Here was Stevo hooked up a few Feb's ago.

Our record Arroyo trip was also last winter - major big trout.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

I must thank Admiral Wilchek for an entertaining day of cruising around West Bay in his sleek 21' Cobia powerboat, but alas, no fish!

Like Don I got 2 light bites for 7 hours of seeking fish signs and casting my arms sore. Tied on about 6 different lures. But we got to laugh over old fishing stories going back over 15 years. And those 2 tasty Boudin kolaches were another highlight.

The most shocking feature of our trip was hearing Saltykat announce he's probably relocating to Florida next Winter. I promised to visit, and you're all invited. Image

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

The best Trout fishing is on the horizon. Grass beds in March and April :wink:

I do understand you like winter trout though… sorry to hear the lack of action. I personally love spring trout fishing, nice slot limits on topwaters.