Christmas Bay report 25-Feb-2023

deptrai

Christmas Bay report 25-Feb-2023

Post by deptrai »

It was a foggy morning and I was slightly off target making my way to Churchill Bayou.
IMG_2612.jpg
I got stuck and needed to get out and walk the kayak a ways to deeper water. At least it wasn’t a soft mud bottom. The microSD card slot on my Raymarine DragonFly is corroded from seawater intrusion and no longer functions so I’m stuck with the poor base map that came with the unit. I hate having to pull out my mobile phone to use Google Maps.
There was a lot of bait activity and the water was moving swiftly all day. It appeared that the tide was rising the entire time I was on the water (6:30am – 1:30pm). Surface water temp started around 70F and reached 73F by the time I was done. Not as much seaweed as there was three weeks ago.
I fished a lot of areas…some where I’ve caught fish before and some where I hadn’t ever fished. I used a paddle tail, shrimp lure and my new MirrOlure. No bites so I made my way to a recently found flounder hole. I caught five flounder and two were over 15”. My first keeper flounder since Halloween. I lost another larger one as it spit the hook. All on the Skelly Shrimp. This is my new go-to shrimp imitation bait.
IMG_2615.jpg
Around noon the SE wind had picked up and made fishing difficult. I ended up drifting alongside a grass line while I drug a paddle tail out the back. I was enjoying not having to peddle and had my feet kicked up on the gunwales. At least a mile in the distance, I saw two boats driving across the bay. They made a couple of turns and then headed my way. Both ended up parking 50 yards in front of me in the direction I was drifting. I think they got out and waded, but aren’t certain as I just reeled in and made a u-turn. Called it a day shortly after that.
I saw three other kayaks out there, but they were all gone before I left.
On the way back in I came across this guy.
https://youtube.com/shorts/d7PLJKTKOPI?feature=share
IMG_6032.jpg
Dave
Last edited by deptrai on Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Christmas Bay report 25-Feb-2023

Post by Ron Mc »

Good result. You were in the right water for the rising tide - the bait and gamefish come in with it.
Thanks for the report.
Onski326

Re: Christmas Bay report 25-Feb-2023

Post by Onski326 »

always informative reading these reports. thank you. one of these days i'll make it down to the coast for some kayak fishing. until then, still landlocked in dfw. :(