upcoming BTB trip???

Bayou Boy

upcoming BTB trip???

Post by Bayou Boy »

I'm almost ready for a BTB trip. Is anyone interested in going anytime soon? I'm in the Houston area
deptrai

Re: upcoming BTB trip???

Post by deptrai »

YES! I haven't done it in TX yet, but definitely want to if the weather conditions are right.

I want Snapper, King Mackerel and anything else out there except sharks and those nasty saltwater catfish.

I'm currently in Missouri City.

Dave
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

Where are you thinking of launching? Only BTB I have done is out of Corpus.
Bayou Boy

Post by Bayou Boy »

deptrai wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:24 pm YES! I haven't done it in TX yet, but definitely want to if the weather conditions are right.

I want Snapper, King Mackerel and anything else out there except sharks and those nasty saltwater catfish.

I'm currently in Missouri City.

Dave
Hey Dave, I'm wanting the same thing. I havn't done a kayak trip to the rigs but my confidence is good. I have been fishing and paddling my whole life and have had my own kayak since 2012. The furtherst I have gone out was about 2.5 miles, but I was by myeslf each time. My kayak of choice is the Ocean Kayak Big Game Prowler II.

mwatson71 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:20 am Where are you thinking of launching? Only BTB I have done is out of Corpus.
Im not sure really. I know the rigs on crytal beach are proably the closest. I think about 3 miles. Then there are the ones right off the surf side jetty. I think they are about 5 and 10 miles. I would plan a trip to Chorpus, but I'm not as familair with whats down there. I would prefer to go with someone familair with the area.
Last edited by Bayou Boy on Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

If you want to do a Corpus trip I’d be game for it. I have done the Bob Hall Pier a few times and managed a nice king. Also got dragged around for a while by what was probably a jack crevalle. Also landed a big jack. My son was 13 at the time and managed to get out BTB as well. Just have to pick the right day.

I’d also be game to doing a closer trip - I am in Houston as well.
deptrai

Post by deptrai »

I want to do something like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQEWW-H2qzU

I've got lots of experience with surf launches/landings from San Diego to Malibu to Pacific City, OR. Been offshore 4 miles for salmon, but only in near lake-like conditions. Kayak fishing since 2003. Safety gear includes, VHF radio, drysuit, throwable rope, whistle...

I fish for fun and if conditions aren't good, I'm not having fun.

I took a peek out in the Gulf once last year past the Freeport Jetty, but it was too rough outside and I came back in after an hour.

Dave
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

This was the Bob Hall Pier trip last year,
Attachments
4B36320C-4B8C-4815-B92B-5095D14F091B.jpeg
B41A7182-7490-4EEE-B050-110412F69707.jpeg
Bayou Boy

Post by Bayou Boy »

mwatson71 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:20 pm If you want to do a Corpus trip I’d be game for it. I have done the Bob Hall Pier a few times and managed a nice king. Also got dragged around for a while by what was probably a jack crevalle. Also landed a big jack. My son was 13 at the time and managed to get out BTB as well. Just have to pick the right day.

I’d also be game to doing a closer trip - I am in Houston as well.
Nice man I appreciateit. Another option is Matagorda. We can fish the pipeline out toward the cluster of platforms. Total distance going out is around 7 miles. I have never been on this beach, but it looks like a good idea.
Attachments
Screenshot_20230313_010741_Chrome~2.jpg
Screenshot_20230313_010741_Chrome.jpg
Last edited by Bayou Boy on Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bayou Boy

Post by Bayou Boy »

deptrai wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:55 pm I want to do something like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQEWW-H2qzU

I've got lots of experience with surf launches/landings from San Diego to Malibu to Pacific City, OR. Been offshore 4 miles for salmon, but only in near lake-like conditions. Kayak fishing since 2003. Safety gear includes, VHF radio, drysuit, throwable rope, whistle...

I fish for fun and if conditions aren't good, I'm not having fun.

I took a peek out in the Gulf once last year past the Freeport Jetty, but it was too rough outside and I came back in after an hour.

Dave
I need to go salmon fishing one day. I wanna get that Alaskan salmon. The only thing your missing with your safety gear is orange smoke to be seen in an emergency during the daytime, a hand held flare for night time, and I also carry the ones you shoot in the air cause why not. They are compact and come in packs of 4.

We need to find the right day to go fishing. How do you usually plan your trips. Do you plan to take trips during a certain month, do you look at the weather a week in advance, or do you just go when the day looks good?

That area got me really sick once. I went out about 2 miles and threw up about 5 times. That was the only time I have been sea sick and Iever since I wanted to blame bucees breakfast tacos. Never got them again. The brisket is where it's at
Astro&Tails

Post by Astro&Tails »

I'm out of Bellaire. Let me know if you guys go and I might join. I'd only go if the surf was flat though. Don't like choppy waters.
deptrai

Post by deptrai »

For seasickness, I take Kwells. You can buy from Pharmacy Online out of Australia. Same drug as scopolamine (the patch), but chewable.

Dave
Bayou Boy

Post by Bayou Boy »

Astro&Tails wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:50 am I'm out of Bellaire. Let me know if you guys go and I might join. I'd only go if the surf was flat though. Don't like choppy waters.
You got it. I hope we have a large group go out
Bayou Boy

Post by Bayou Boy »

deptrai wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:42 pm For seasickness, I take Kwells. You can buy from Pharmacy Online out of Australia. Same drug as scopolamine (the patch), but chewable.

Dave
Does it only work if you take it the night before?
I'm gonna try to tough it out. Calm days shouldn't be a concern. I know conditions can change quickly, but I'm pretty tough.
bigfost
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by bigfost »

I think you guys are worrying too much about sea sickness. In my 10+ years of BTB, I've made hundreds of trips, with multiple dozens of people, in all kinds of conditions, and I've only known a handful to get sick. The motion doesn't seem to affect people as much when you're down at water level in a kayak.

Go, enjoy, and good luck.
deptrai

Post by deptrai »

Bayou Boy wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:10 pm
deptrai wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:42 pm For seasickness, I take Kwells. You can buy from Pharmacy Online out of Australia. Same drug as scopolamine (the patch), but chewable.

Dave
Does it only work if you take it the night before?
I'm gonna try to tough it out. Calm days shouldn't be a concern. I know conditions can change quickly, but I'm pretty tough.
No. I take an hour before.
deptrai

Post by deptrai »

bigfost wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:18 am I think you guys are worrying too much about sea sickness. In my 10+ years of BTB, I've made hundreds of trips, with multiple dozens of people, in all kinds of conditions, and I've only known a handful to get sick. The motion doesn't seem to affect people as much when you're down at water level in a kayak.

Go, enjoy, and good luck.
I've been fishing for 48 years. First in boats, then started kayak fishing in 2003. I get seasick more easily in the yak than in a boat.

Dave
Astro&Tails

Post by Astro&Tails »

Less about sea sickness and more about enjoyment on the water. If I'm going to go out, might as well go on a nice calm day and relax floating around on top of the water.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

If you guys are interested in going BTB, you may want to sign up for this trip. This has just posted so people will be signing up soon. Hope to see ya'll out there.

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... e0dbe3bf59
Astro&Tails

Post by Astro&Tails »

I need to burn some work PTO days by end of month and considering adhoc day trip to Freeport if the winds/swells are not too bad. I don't think I'm going to go that far out and might just take the opportunity to troll along the surf/jetty. If conditions are too rough, I might just go walk the jetties. I'm departing out of Bellaire and happy for others to join. PM if interested.
boricualouie

Post by boricualouie »

Hell yea! Im leaving on Thursday! Hit me up, I’m planning on staying all the way to Sunday! I’m gonna do my an princess, bob haul and pins!
boricualouie

Post by boricualouie »

I’m from Austin and I’m most likely will start at bob haul then myan princess rigs but if anyone is going to pins, I can do them to!
Astro&Tails

Post by Astro&Tails »

I'm going to head out tomorrow morning from Houston and start at Matagorda rigs if anyone wants to join. The forecast looks pretty good.