*****BOB HALL PIER - BTB, AUG 16th, WEDNESDAY, 2023 (((((NEW UPDATES)))))*****

Yakety_Yak

Re: *****BOB HALL PIER - BTB, JULY 15th, SATURDAY, 2023*****

Post by Yakety_Yak »

xmatador2000 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:27 pm Things came up and I’m a maybe now which really sucks a**. Any chance there will be a second trip this summer?
I'll keep ya on the list since you are still a "maybe." Hopefully you will be able to come out.
DamianZ

Post by DamianZ »

Count me in! -DamianZ
deptrai

Post by deptrai »

Do we need to use wire leaders if trolling lures?
Jj120704

Post by Jj120704 »

Hey there is everyone using a pedal kayak or paddle as well?
Just curious cuz I’m really interested but since I just have a paddle I don’t want to be in the way or hold anyone back
deptrai

Post by deptrai »

Great podcast this evening. Can't wait for part 2. Hopefully before July 15th.

Dave
xmatador2000

Post by xmatador2000 »

What podcast?
deptrai

Post by deptrai »

xmatador2000 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:57 pm What podcast?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc4xa0HIfu4&t=11s
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

deptrai wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:05 pm Do we need to use wire leaders if trolling lures?
I run wire leaders on all my trolling lures and most of my jigs.
TarponTime

Post by TarponTime »

:D
TexasDrew

Post by TexasDrew »

Sign me up.
deptrai

Post by deptrai »

I bought Ribbon Fish today from Bridge Bait. They didn't have any pre-packaged frozen ones, but had fresh ones for $6/pound.
John Hall

Post by John Hall »

Jj120704 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:58 am Hey there is everyone using a pedal kayak or paddle as well?
Just curious cuz I’m really interested but since I just have a paddle I don’t want to be in the way or hold anyone back
Mixture of both, bring a paddle yak if ya got one. I am in a peddle and son is in a paddle.
SeanKelly

Post by SeanKelly »

I’m going, see you guys there!
niswanger

Post by niswanger »

I'm going with my youngest son and our two AI's That being said, anyone looking for some fairly priced gear. I've listed it all on fb marketplace and can bring it from Round Rock. Note the OP's pictures and the silver insulated fish bag used?. I have one, it's 40" long (not many this length until you get into the $150+ range. The academy bag is okay but definitely only good for inshore species. I'm attaching images below of what I'm selling, just hit me up here or on the fb page:

Diawa Saltist Nero 4500H with 6.5' Tiger Lite Med-Heavy rod spooled with new Suffix 832 30lb and 20' Yozuri hybrid 40lb top-shot. Very capable King trolling rig. 9 of 10 on condition $120

SOLD: Fish Bag: $60 I think new shipped it was $120, not available anymore, I think?

SOLD: Penn 113 Senator made in USA version with new UglyStick BigWater $120

SOLD: Bruce anchor kit with 80' anchor line $20

SOLD: Rig hook, like Prof Salt's version $10

-Roy
Last edited by niswanger on Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
mhouse

Post by mhouse »

I will take the fish bag, rig hook, and anchor if they are still available! I am located in Pflugerville so I will gladly pick up local. 512-740-4351
Last edited by mhouse on Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boricualouie

Post by boricualouie »

I probably be leaving Austin on Thursday morning! I’ll be at Bally RV park.
boricualouie

Post by boricualouie »

I’ll take the anchor setup!
mhouse

Post by mhouse »

Hmmmmmm
Attachments
IMG_0444.png
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Early forecasts aren’t great but remember at this point it’s just a guess. National Weather Service only forecasts wind 3-4 days out for a reason.
niswanger

Post by niswanger »

mhouse wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:50 am I will take the fish bag, rig hook, and anchor if they are still available! I am located in Pflugerville so I will gladly pick up local. 512-740-4351
Thanks Mike, nice meeting you. Bag, anchor, and hook are sold.
niswanger

Post by niswanger »

Hey folks. Wanted to share some info I've gained over the past 3-4 years of doing this. The most important and quite embarrassing thing I learned was in the middle of COVID summer when a buddy and I went down with my two yaks (Hobie Revo 13 with side-kick amas, and my PA14). We were so kindly informed and suggested that Packery Channel would be the easiest place to launch since all beach access was closed. This was our first BTB ever, and due to COVID I think the BTB meetup thing was just canned. Needless to say we made it out since the tide was going out, but the discharge are of the channel literally almost ate my buddy and I. Then on the way back in the toilet bowl-like discharge wasn't as bad, but we just couldn't pedal against the current. NEVER, and I repeat NEVER do this in a kayak.

Okay onto what I've learned and I will try to only shed light on things that aren't talked about much:

1. There are 3 key areas to try BTB that are NOT on PINS. I have no experience going down PINS as I only have a 2-wheel drive with a 5x10 trailer hauling two Hobie AI's now.

a. Bob Hall Pier. This meeting place as of the last few years is about a 1/4 to 1/2 mile south (to the right) off Beach Access Rd. 6. Reason for going down that far I feel is mainly to escape the crowds at the access but also a good launch point for the close-in NG platform which is only 1.25 nm out (as marked as #1 and #2 in the image below). Note #3 shows 3 platforms about 5 nm out. Generally only a few during the BTB meetup go out there. The second day, after Packery Death Challenge, my buddy and I parked on the street at Whitecap Beach and we made it out there but boy was it a haul.

b. As marked as #4 is just about 1/4 mile north (left) from Beach Access Rd. 3 and is right at the Mustang Island State Park south fence. This area is generally pretty quiet with beach goers but it can get a little sand-soft at times and higher tides can cause some tide pooling at times. Once there was a 2-wheel drive pickup stuck just at the access road to beach area. This is a good area because of the number of NG platforms (#5) that are relatively close. If memory serves me correct you can hit 3 platforms all in about one 5 mile leg before heading back.

c. Finally as marked #6 we have the Mayan Princess Rigs location. This is roughly at beach marker 80 and is about 1.5 miles north (left) of beach access road 2. Simply think of this as much like option b but maybe add another 2 nm of trip journey for NG rig areas. You'll fish about 2-3 rigs. My sons first saltwater fish was caught here 2 years ago on a King stinger rig and ribbon, 31" Mahi-Mahi.

2. My personal cut-off for surface conditions as published and confirmed locally is 3.5' amplitude and 5 second interval. That being said 2.5 at 3 seconds can be a bitch too. So for me, if the day is forecasted to start at 3/6 but end at 4/6 then I'd still attempt, likely to make it out find, and asses the off-shore conditions which normally are somewhat fine in this summer cyclic period. Coming in, I've yet to ever try to surf in or even backup. At the first set I toss a short 12' rope and float that's tied to my aft handle, raise rudder, pull drive, and raise dagger and I jump in and just let the surf pound me in and sharks nibble my feet. As the yak gets hit by waves my body acts as a aft anchor which rights the vessel so it keeps pointing to the shore.

3. Kings? Yeah, in order of preference: King stinger rig with ribbon fish, Halco Max in bait color and at least 1' steel leader, SaltWater honking huge electric chicken rattle trap (3.5oz?), again with steel leader.

4. WATER, WATER, WATER, WATER, WATER, WATER, WATER, WATER, WATER, WATER, WATER, WATER, WATER, WATER, WATER, WATER. Start drinking copious amounts the day before.

5. Marine radio that you have tested and know how long will last.

Finally, there's a chance I'll be going even if the event is canceled. Again I'm looking for max starting surf of 3.5/6. If the BTB is canceled and my son and I still go, then we'll probably do the Mayan Princess rigs location.

-Roy
mhouse

Post by mhouse »

Great post, thank you for the information. Can you perhaps elaborate on "sharks nibble my feet" for us newbies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GregO722

Re: *****BOB HALL PIER - BTB, JULY 15th, SATURDAY, 2023 (((((UPDATES)))))*****

Post by GregO722 »

Adding to Roy’s great comments above. I’ve BTB’d everyone of the locations mentioned. Over time, my kayak of choice has changed, originally paddle, then peddle now sail (Kraken, Outback, AI). Each evolution was an attempt to extend my range, or at least reduce the level of exhaustion at the end of the day.
Last weekend I took my 6 year old out, we launched from the Packery Boat ramp to avoid the waves (3+ in the surf). Wind was minimal, so it took peddle power to go anywhere. The closet rig was about 3 miles (or more) from the jetties, maybe ENE heading. (about 10 oclock heading from the jetty exit). (maybe #5 on Roy’s map) Without wind, everything else seemed out of range. Returning to the jetties was not bad, a little wind helped. But at the jetty entrance, it was not so great. The outgoing tide combined with following 3-4ft waves made it a little sporty. There was enough tailwind to keep us moving, but it did require 100% focus on the rudder and peddles to keep things steady as we entered the jetty wash. As Roy pointed out, I could not image doing this in any other kayak.
I’m sure that I’ve caught more Kings on ribbonfish than anything else, but I did catch my PB (53”) on a Yozuri lure last year. Wire leaders and heavy-duty hooks are a must. I usually replace the hooks on all my lures.
It’s been a very rare occurrence where I felt comfortable just driving the kayak through the surf when returning to the beach. My preference has always been to “back it in” when entering the surf zone. This has allowed me to keep the nose of the kayak in the waves and return under control. It takes longer, and the current moves you away from your intended landing point, but it works. Beaching an AI/TI is different. Once you have raised the dagger, rudder, and mirage drive, you have no control and the surf will spin you fast. Getting sideways in one of these crafts can be dangerous and expensive. I’ve found the best way to return is the “windsock” method. Tie a rope to the back of the kayak, jump out and hold on, using your body as the windsock and adjusting the kayak straight as the waves drag you to the beach. As for the shark comment, remember, they are usually small sharks and they are after fish not humans, once they have a taste of your toes, they usually leave you alone. (just kidding)
I’m also hoping to make it out that weekend, even if Blake must cancel. Roy, I may try and join you around MP. I’ll have to figure out if I can launch with a kid on the tramp, if not may need to hit the bay.
niswanger

Post by niswanger »

GregO722 wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:10 am Adding to Roy’s great comments above. I’ve BTB’d everyone of the locations mentioned. Over time, my kayak of choice has changed, originally paddle, then peddle now sail (Kraken, Outback, AI). Each evolution was an attempt to extend my range, or at least reduce the level of exhaustion at the end of the day.
Last weekend I took my 6 year old out, we launched from the Packery Boat ramp to avoid the waves (3+ in the surf). Wind was minimal, so it took peddle power to go anywhere. The closet rig was about 3 miles (or more) from the jetties, maybe ENE heading. (about 10 oclock heading from the jetty exit). (maybe #5 on Roy’s map) Without wind, everything else seemed out of range. Returning to the jetties was not bad, a little wind helped. But at the jetty entrance, it was not so great. The outgoing tide combined with following 3-4ft waves made it a little sporty. There was enough tailwind to keep us moving, but it did require 100% focus on the rudder and peddles to keep things steady as we entered the jetty wash. As Roy pointed out, I could not image doing this in any other kayak.
I’m sure that I’ve caught more Kings on ribbonfish than anything else, but I did catch my PB (53”) on a Yozuri lure last year. Wire leaders and heavy-duty hooks are a must. I usually replace the hooks on all my lures.
It’s been a very rare occurrence where I felt comfortable just driving the kayak through the surf when returning to the beach. My preference has always been to “back it in” when entering the surf zone. This has allowed me to keep the nose of the kayak in the waves and return under control. It takes longer, and the current moves you away from your intended landing point, but it works. Beaching an AI/TI is different. Once you have raised the dagger, rudder, and mirage drive, you have no control and the surf will spin you fast. Getting sideways in one of these crafts can be dangerous and expensive. I’ve found the best way to return is the “windsock” method. Tie a rope to the back of the kayak, jump out and hold on, using your body as the windsock and adjusting the kayak straight as the waves drag you to the beach. As for the shark comment, remember, they are usually small sharks and they are after fish not humans, once they have a taste of your toes, they usually leave you alone. (just kidding)
I’m also hoping to make it out that weekend, even if Blake must cancel. Roy, I may try and join you around MP. I’ll have to figure out if I can launch with a kid on the tramp, if not may need to hit the bay.
Greg, would love to meet up at Marker 80 with you and you're seaman apprentice. Our method, even though my 18yo son is stronger than me, is to get him in and moving first (he uses a 2013 AI with modified seat and I'm in a 2017 AI). After that he can make it through the surf on his own and just wait for me. So this being said we could work together, my son and I could get you and your son going first then, we'll follow.

Speaking of backing in, again I've never tried it but one thing that happened to me last year was breaking 2 rudder pins back to back in the surf. I am pretty sure the reason was that the rudder was lowered in anticipation to jump in but I decided to wait. This caused the rudder to turn full to port or stbd and then a large enough wave lifted the front of the kayak and pushed it backwards just enough that the force against a flat face rudder broke the pins. I have 4 spare rudder pins, currently, so I am very sensitive about this. I would think backing in would probably end up breaking a rudder pin if I had to guess?

I'm going to try and DM you with my number so we can sync up.

-Roy
mhouse

Post by mhouse »

I am going on year two of trying to make this so I am PRAYING it's a GO Saturday! If not I will just hit the bays but I am running solo this weekend in an Outback so if you want a tag-a-long or some company just DM me.