Christmas Bay report 1-Apr-2023 w/2 new experiences

deptrai

Christmas Bay report 1-Apr-2023 w/2 new experiences

Post by deptrai »

After my incident last week, I was eager to get back on the water and redeem myself. I wanted to go back to the Swan Lake area, but the tides were opposite of the previous week so I figured I would be going against the current out in the morning and back in the afternoon. I’m keeping a database of the tide predictions in certain areas and how the predictions correlate to actual current direction. On this day, I instead opted to go “home” to Xmas Bay. Of course I always fish some new (to me) part of the bay so every trip is something different.
It was foggy in the morning with negligible wind and water surface temperature of 72F. I didn't take this photo until later in the morning.
IMG_2799.jpg
It didn’t take long and on my 10th cast, I caught a small Red Drum.
IMG_2797.jpg
About 15 minutes later I hooked another larger one. It swirled on the surface and spit the hook. I made another pass through this area and had two more bites and missed them both.
I decided to try and salvage the day and made my way to my flounder hole. A few casts in and I caught a 17 incher. This guy took off like a Red Drum when I hooked it and surprised me when it finally came to the surface.
IMG_2800.jpg
I then lost two rigs to the oyster before leaving the flounder hole to look for new water. What I learned today was to increase the length of my fluorocarbon leader. Braided line is no match for the oyster. I also got to practice tying the FG knot in my kayak again. I’m getting pretty good at that.

Forgot to mention new experience #1. I caught one of those slimy saltwater catfish. What was he doing in my flounder hole?
IMG_2804.jpg
I ended the day in Churchill Bayou. By this time, the surface temperature had reached 77F and the wind had picked up. Here is where new experience #2 happened. I was fishing the southeast side of the channel and saw an alligator slip into the water. A five footer headed straight across toward the other side and quickly submerged leaving some air bubbles floating to the surface. This happened about 50’ in front of me. I made a quick U-turn and headed across to the other side and peddled my Outback as fast as I could about 100 yards downstream before I started fishing again.
To be continued...
deptrai

Re: Christmas Bay report 1-Apr-2023 w/2 new experiences

Post by deptrai »

I think about all the times I’ve “beached” my yak along the edge of the grass and all the times I won’t be doing that in the future. I’ve been more concerned with snakes than Gators, but now I have to watch out for those as well. I hear otters can be dangerous too?
About this time, I was considering calling it a day. The current was flowing in the direction of the launch so I was just going with the flow and dragging my DieZel minnow behind me when this guy smacked it.
IMG_2805.jpg
A 2nd keeper flounder.
I always drag something out the back when returning across the bay to the launch. It’s about 6’-7’ depth. I haven’t had a bite doing this yet. Is the area just desolate?
IMG_2806.jpg
IMG_2807.jpg
IMG_2808.jpg
Dave
Last edited by deptrai on Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Surprised to hear about a gator in that area. That’s pretty salty there and gators aren’t generally known for liking saltier water. Gators are definitely in the BNWR, there’s always some big ones in salt creek that flows into salt lake. Gators are In Bastrop Bayou down near the ICWW.

Anyway, you survived the experience and I’m more concerned about stepping on a Rattlesnake than the odd gator encounter in the saltmarsh. Those launches around Christmas bay are known to have rattlesnakes at times.
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

What laser do you use to filet your fish? That is cleeeeeeaaaaan.
deptrai

Post by deptrai »

mwatson71 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:24 pm What laser do you use to filet your fish? That is cleeeeeeaaaaan.
Nothing fancy. Victorinox Fibrox Pro 6-inch Curved Boning Knife with Flexible Blade.

I just keep it sharp with a Work Sharp Ken Onion Edition sharpener.

I catch so few fish that I must maximize each harvest!

Dave
junkyard chihuahua
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by junkyard chihuahua »

Yeah, Thats an impressive filet job.

That looks like a skill learned from catching many, many fish!
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

good job on the stingy flounder fillets
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Yes, that’s way better than I do.