Easy fly pattern for white bass

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Easy fly pattern for white bass

Post by Prof. Salt »

Our local white bass run has pretty much wrapped up by now, but I wanted to share a pattern that outperformed all other flies for the last few years. I used to favor a tiny Clouser because it would drift along like a dead minnow and draw lots of attention, but a few years ago I began trying a different approach that seems to catch even more fish.
Tied on a size 6 Umpqua Flats hook, x-small lead eyes, large cactus chenille and long craft fur, this design lets you push a little water using short strips and imitating a dying minnow, or lets you drift it along like a dead fish bumping along the bottom in the current. I usually approach a new rapid by using pretty quick short strips to give it a lot of action, casting across the water and letting the fly arc across until it's running upstream on my side of the river. Once fish stop responding, I'll slow it down and only make a few slower strips. After that stops getting the right responses, I'll simply cast and follow the drift looking for a fish to pick it up. Casting across the water helps to maintain enough line tension to see even faint bites in the line. Here's one after a hard morning of fishing and it's beaten up but still fishable after more than 200 fish.

The other thing I'm enjoying with this kind of fishing is using a short fly rod. The guys at Roy's talked me into trying the little six foot TFO signature 2weight rod. It makes fly casting very light and zippy, and makes getting under overhanging tree branches much easier. It also makes even the lightest bites easier to feel. The tiny rod was responsible for catching over 720 fish this season, and well over a thousand last year. Though I won't recommend it for everyone, this little rig has also caught redfish up to 28" in the flats with fight times similar to what I get with the larger rods. Reds will wear out the line faster, so I've been getting 2 or maybe 3 years out of a fly line before it has to be replaced - but for the number of smiles it has given, it's been worth the price.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Easy fly pattern for white bass

Post by Ron Mc »

White bass are short strikers - short tail is an advantage on any white bass fly
I've done best in clear hill country rivers on little olive whistler tied on Tiemco 200R, or gray and green cats whiskers tied on Tiemco 5262.
Definitely white and yellow are most productive in turbid water, and blue is always champ in the dark.

(did get the other four while letting friends fillet from my stringer)

Last edited by Ron Mc on Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Good ideas - I'll shorten the tails on mine for next season and see if that improves the short strikes, and pack a dark version for using before daylight.

Looks like your fly design uses a similar concept to push a little water on the retrieve.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Glenn, I'm mostly bottom-bouncing with a Teeny line, and I'm very serious about blue in the dark - blue chenille, marabou or arctic fox.
Blue is the one color in the dark that does more than make a shadow.

Sorry I don't have an example to photo, but Billy Trimble used to tie a really simple white bass fly.
Start with the figure-8 wraps on bead chain, then wrap folds of orange bucktail around the bead chain, tie off and trim short.
J-Moe

Post by J-Moe »

Good looking fly. Thanks for sharing