Needing some help please!!!

Onski326

Needing some help please!!!

Post by Onski326 »

Sorry if this gets long but I'm about at my whit's end. I cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong or not right. Last time I was really fishing was when I was in my 20's in Iowa. Did pretty well, usually could catch something most outings. Well, the last few years I've been trying to get back into it, mainly on the local Lake Bridgeport. I have yet to catch anything. Not even so much as a nibble. Facts first I guess. I'm in a Tarpon 160 and have hit the 380 bridge, 1stop area, around the dam, Rattlesnake and Horse islands, Wise park and the feeder to the main lake and even the Wizard Wells ramp. I take 6 poles, 2 setup for catfish, 2 for trolling sandies/hybrids, 1 spinner for jigging and a baitcaster for bass.

I enjoy trolling or trying to troll for sandies and hybrids. I run 2 lines and have tried Rebel Pop-R's, Bomber slab spoons, Mann's Little George, Roadrunners...all in white or chrome combinations. My typical trolling speed is around 2.4-2.5mph. Seems to be a leisure paddle at that speed for me. And I don't feel like I'm going too fast but fast enough to get some action out of the lures. Am I ok on speed? Any other lure suggestions? I haven't found any birds but I can seem to locate the bait balls and have tried dropping lures through them with no luck either.

Catfish. So when I get tired or need a break or find a spot I feel should hold catfish (drop offs, holes, debris), I drop both lines and drift fish while I recover, eat, whatever. I've gone old school bobber and worms to the latest Santee rigs with a ball of worms, minnows, Magic Bait on treble hooks, chicken livers. Nada. I've heard cutbait is great but I can't catch anything to make cutbait out of (lol) and my local baitshops don't seem to carry anything that would work. What am I doing wrong? Can you cast and retrieve for cats? I always assumed you throw a line in and wait with them. Usually on the bottom or close to it.

Should I be jigging for crappie when I'm soaking catfish lines or sand bass? I don't mind just relaxing but anything I can do to maximize any chances of catching A fish would help. I've tried Rooster Tails, Baby Shad, Marabou jigs in blue, pink, black and chartreuse (among other random colors) with no luck.
loonycamp

Re: Needing some help please!!!

Post by loonycamp »

For catfish you need to get a cast net and catch the bait that is present at the fishing spot. They prefer the local bait that they are used to eating.
As for any other fish, I would talk to the locals to see what pattern the fish are in.
Onski326

Re: Needing some help please!!!

Post by Onski326 »

loonycamp wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:21 am For catfish you need to get a cast net and catch the bait that is present at the fishing spot. They prefer the local bait that they are used to eating.
As for any other fish, I would talk to the locals to see what pattern the fish are in.
I usually fish open water, 20-30 feet deep. Can you cast net there? I've seen videos of people doing it from shore but I can never spot any fish near the shore line. I don't know many locals that fish. The ones I do never seem to catch anything (my neighbor). I think it's more of an excuse for him to go out drinking on the water away from the wife more than anything. lol. Thanks for the reply.