wittich

Salt Lake report

Post by wittich »

Salt Lake .jpg
wittich

Re: Salt Lake report

Post by wittich »

Friday 14th April,
I launched my kayak in the backyard and paddled into salt lake. The water was up pretty high. Normally I see oyster reefs from my window, but they were all submerged. When the water is high I try to stick to whatever structure I can find; Islands, points, grass beds, oyster reefs anything that can offer some cover and protection to baitfish. I found one area that was holding trout, and landed a decent sized fish on a Double D lure. I was determined to catch dinner and put this fish on a stringer and tied it to my kayak, while continued fishing. I was listening to a podcast that went into catch and release theme, and finally I decided if this fish was still swimming strong when I got back to kayak I would let it go. I am not sure what the survival rate is, but I kept the stringer away from the gills this fish looked like he was ready to go home so I let this one go.
I did not see enough bait activity in Salt Lake, so I loaded up the kayak and moved to another spot. What I love about Rockport is that I have a ton of fishing options within few miles from my house.

I noticed a couple of birds hovering over one area on a mud flat and slowly waded closer. If you pay attention to birds, they can be very helpful in pointing you in the right direction. I saw three grey tails sticking out of the water. I knew that bird was on to something. I tossed out a lil john and immediately hooked up to a fish. He made a good run. I don't know how he threw the hook but I ended up with a clump of grass . I switched to a small topwater called a Zip N Ziggy and had two more blowups before calling it a day and heading back to Kyle.

I got home to the family around 4, everyone was playing on the phones. If they want to be on are on their iphones, then I might as well go fishing. I finished the day with two good bass in the pond in my neighborhood.
Last edited by wittich on Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
wittich

Post by wittich »

Salt Lake trout.PNG
wittich

Post by wittich »

pond toad.PNG
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Awesome report and nice trout! I love those lil johns, definitely a confidence bait in my box. I use "Glow", which admittedly looks clear, and purple demon, with the Glow getting the nod in most scenarios. Good for you on rounding out the day with some of those Green trout.

Tight lines,

Yak Boi