New pedal kayak maker

Fishtolive

New pedal kayak maker

Post by Fishtolive »

There is a new pedal kayak maker in Houston that they have a big discount for pre-order for near half price.
Check out the video of Robert Field… I think he is the rep of this Kayak company. The pre-order discount will last couple days and then it will go full price.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/2803243
motoyak

Re: New pedal kayak maker

Post by motoyak »

85-92#...? Im out :lol:
Rob R

Post by Rob R »

No reverse?
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Rob R wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:22 am No reverse?
Kayaks like the Lightning are utilizing expired Hobie Patents for their first gen mirage drive; which didn't include reverse.
deptrai

Post by deptrai »

Neumie wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:46 am
Kayaks like the Lightning are utilizing expired Hobie Patents for their first gen mirage drive; which didn't include reverse.
My 1st gen Mirage drive was much more reliable than my current MD180 POS. I could care less about the reverse.

Dave
Killerbee

Post by Killerbee »

deptrai wrote:
Neumie wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:46 am
My 1st gen Mirage drive was much more reliable than my current MD180 POS. I could care less about the reverse.

Dave
X2 It looks like the 2018 and prior outbacks. Best offshore pedal kayak design I have ever used. I bet it will be good.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Music Man
Location: Missouri City Lightning Nomad, Kraken 13.5, Trident Ultra 4.3

Post by Music Man »

Well, I broke the rule of "paddle before you buy" and purchased one. Swing for the fence...

I'll post a review once I get it and try it out on the water.
deptrai

Post by deptrai »

Music Man wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:45 pm Well, I broke the rule of "paddle before you buy" and purchased one. Swing for the fence...

I'll post a review once I get it and try it out on the water.
I doubt you'll regret it. If I didn't already have a Hobie, I'd have ordered one too.

Dave
Music Man

Post by Music Man »

I’ve been looking at the Hobie Compass but was hesitant because of the price point. Well, that and I have two other kayaks :lol: They claim it was designed for offshore so I’ll see. Pick up date is sometime next month.
Fishtolive

Post by Fishtolive »

Please let us know how do you like that new yak?
Hope with Robert Field experience, he should already have given the manufacturer all the good tips in design that kayak to meet all BTB criteria…. :P
Music Man

Post by Music Man »

These won’t be ready until late-May. They are supposed to send me pickup details this week. I’ll post something as soon as I get it on the water.
Fishtolive

Post by Fishtolive »

:D :D Or just sign up for a chance to win a free kayak from the same kayak company..

https://youtu.be/w9UxbQNf1wc
Yak Dog

Post by Yak Dog »

Just signed up I can use an extra kayak
Onski326

Post by Onski326 »

same. i need to get on the pedal bandwagon
Endo

Post by Endo »

I looked into these kayaks a couple weeks ago when i heard about the promo..$1,100 for a Houston pick-up. Its a pretty good deal. I figured if I didn't like it, I could re-sell it for at least that and get my $$ back.

I decided not to get one because (detail pictures are few, but from what I could tell):
  • No front hull storage - they opted to seal it off and just enable on-top bag storage
    The only in-hull storage access is between your legs hatch, but it looks to be a rather small circle hatch..so going to be pretty limited what you can fit in there.
    The deck area in the stern behind the seat looks to be designed around mounting a power pole, so you lose a third of your storage deck space behind the seat.
    The two small storage pockets with nets (to put pliers and other quick-need items in) look to be mounted up by your feet, which seems like its not very convenient....instead of putting these pockets closer to you by your thighs or something.
Add all that up, and just seemed the design was storage challenged, from the way I like to use a kayak.

I wish the company well. They are local and Robert Field is aligned with them. More kayak companies is a good thing.
Onski326

Post by Onski326 »

$$ for $$ I wonder how these compare to the HooDoo. Seem to be somewhat in the same price range...at least for now.
Music Man

Post by Music Man »

My Nomad finally came in. They were so overwhelmed with orders the delivery was pushed back about two months. Taking it out for the first time in the morning. Just looking at it, the boat is very solid. Hull is very thick - drilled some holes for the transducer line. Rudder is easily deployed/retracted. Rudder retracts easily if it hits something. Gear tracks are ample and very solid - aluminum instead of the plastic polymer versions. Seat is functional. May need to add a cushion for lower back support. Has three positions. The high position has about 4 1/2 inches of clearance beneath the seat. The two low positions don’t leave room for a tackle box.

Transducer well is large but is bare. You have to DIY a mount or use something like the Lowrance scupper mount. Good news here is that you can use just about any size transducer. I made something out of PVC and foam tubing. This is my first peddle drive so I can’t say much about the Freedom Drive. Looks solid enough. Installing the drive is easy and the mounts will accept the Hobie branded drives should that appeal to anyone. A reverse sounds cool but I have seen comments about it not being worth the added price.

Some have commented about the lack of a front hatch and the smaller rear tank well. I have a front hatch on both of my other kayaks and don’t find them helpful for me on the water. A regular sized crate fits nicely in the tank well with some room for a battery box. A crate such as the Yakattack 13x16 will also fit. Again, for me, I’m trying to cut down on how much stuff I take out so the space is fine.

It is Power Pole ready but I am still trying to decide if I will like that setup. If I do go that way, it will be the Yakgadget version as the cost plus the weight plus the additional battery of the Power Pole isn’t appealing to me.

The Nomad is not light but in the zone with other peddle drives. I’ve been moving it from my cart to my trailer to kayak stands without too much hassle. Definitely will use a cart to go from trailer to launch.

I’ll post some more after I get it on the water.
Music Man

Post by Music Man »

Got the Nomad on the water today. I was wrong about the seat - it is very comfortable. Took me a while to get the drive adjusted for me, but once that was set it worked great. Had one little issue with a tensioning nut being loose but had a wrench with me. Remembered an old post on TKF about having some tools with you if you have a peddle drive :wink:

The boat moves through the water really well. The rudder is very sensitive. Took me a while to stop over correcting.

No regrets buying this boat. Only question is how well the drive and rudder system will hold up. The prices for Lighting parts on their website are very reasonable, so not too concerned.
IMG_2178.jpeg
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Excellent review. I think some of the negatives people have said (lack of a front hatch and some refinement) is to meet a price point. It's all a trade off.

This looks like a very solid kayak at a great price. They should, and obviously have, sell well.
deptrai

Post by deptrai »

Looks good. I like the color.

Now go run over some oyster and get it out of the way.
Music Man

Post by Music Man »

deptrai wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:51 pm Looks good. I like the color.

Now go run over some oyster and get it out of the way.
:lol: :lol: :lol: I scratched it on a flower pot the first day I had it home! With the fin drive…I’ll be avoiding oyster…in theory :wink:
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Thanks for the review. Congrats on your new Nomad. They make solid kayaks in my opinion.