A pretty good morning

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

A pretty good morning

Post by Prof. Salt »

When I saw that Saturday was going to be windy, I took Friday morning off to paddle the flats. The first lake I wanted to check was four miles away, but by launching early I was able to get there before daylight. The lake turned out to have fish but they were mostly inactive. I did find a group of fish hunting the edge of a feeder channel and one of the fish hit the lure within ten feet of the kayak but spooked the rest of his school. I worked from lake to lake and channel to channel looking for shallow crawlers. They were very scattered so I kept moving in my search and exploring some new areas. By noon I had paddled 18 miles and had a limit of fish. A few fish were in small groups of 3-4, but most of the ones I saw hunting were singles. Weather was nice with clouds and low winds, so it was a great day to be on the water.
Music Man
Location: Missouri City Lightning Nomad, Kraken 13.5, Trident Ultra 4.3

Re: A pretty good morning

Post by Music Man »

Awesome! Thanks for sharing.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

A PRETTY GOOD morning? It sounded (read) like an extraordinary way to spend a morning.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Great fish, great photos - thanks for posting.
Yak Dog

Post by Yak Dog »

18 miles by noon, wow! You put some miles on that kayak myself and a buddy of mine figured out mileage for the year a few years back. We came out to 376 miles paddled over a year of fishing on the weekends. You differently have that beat. I know you have that stealth kayak, that thing is really nice perfect for your high mileage trips. Does your back ever get stiff from not having a back rest? Great pics also thanks for sharing
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Yak Dog wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:18 pm 18 miles by noon, wow! You put some miles on that kayak myself and a buddy of mine figured out mileage for the year a few years back. We came out to 376 miles paddled over a year of fishing on the weekends. You differently have that beat. I know you have that stealth kayak, that thing is really nice perfect for your high mileage trips. Does your back ever get stiff from not having a back rest? Great pics also thanks for sharing
My back is usually a little tired by the end of a long trip, but not bad. By the next day there is no lingering soreness. I have been going to the gym to strengthen my core and shoulders, and it has made a noticeable improvement to the long trips. No soreness the next day, and shoulders and arms don’t get worn down like they used to.

When I tried a kayak with a seat back not long ago, it felt very restrictive and didn’t let me move the way I usually do. I used it for a few different trips up to eight miles and was happy when I switched back to a kayak without a seat.