Lighthouse Lakes 4/28/23

ben_beyer

Lighthouse Lakes 4/28/23

Post by ben_beyer »

I made a reservation at Mustang Island State Park months ago as my kids, while still very young, are getting more independent. Ultimately I need to relax more and I'd also like to fish the coast more. I can't justify a $200/night rental house so I'm looking into camping at the State Parks.

Not too bad but I also lucked out with good weather.

I've been wanting to go into the Lighthouse Lakes for some time but the water wasn't high enough or it was Teal season so I went for it on Friday.

Winds had been out of the SE, E, and NE for the days prior so I decided to fish the west side of the LHL. The MLLW had been averaging at least 2 feet high and when I drove by Thursday afternoon, the water was really high.

I launched from the park and worked my way to the big lake in the back. Maybe I read the conditions wrong but I didn't see much bait activity. I did eventually see some bait flickering, casted my Topwater over to that area, and hooked up with the one Red.

Not the most exciting day but it was good to get back there and do some exploring.

We're going to be down as a family in a few weeks so I'm going to keep watching the conditions.
Attachments
20230427_183438.jpg
20230428_081126.jpg
20230428_094601.jpg
Screenshot_20230428_080153_Chrome.jpg
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Lighthouse Lakes 4/28/23

Post by Ron Mc »

It's always great to get out - thanks for the complete report.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Thanks for the report. LHL can be tough when the tides are really high, it allows the reds to get way back in the mangroves and smaller back lakes.
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

Thanks for your help in knowing when the water is high enough to get in there Neumie.

If the water is still that high when I'm back in a few weeks, I'll have more time to explore and see if I can find them. I mapped out my route in and only did about 2 miles so there was still a lot to explore and see but I just didn't have the time.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

There are a lot of "residential reds" in LHL and even if you do not see action the chances of one sitting right below the surface is high. With high tides LHL can be really difficult. However, learning the pot holes, fishing structure like mangrove lines and guts close by will usually get you something. Redfish always amaze me on how well they can hide right below the surface. Some people do not like blind casting, but I find it helpful in these situations and sometimes more exciting. There are also nice trout that hang around the openings right at first light and blind casting is the only way you will catch these fish if they are not actively hitting bait. If you kayak over an area and see action, such as fish making wakes, causing mud stirs, hitting bait, or the infamous tailing, set up a good drift and bomb a top-water or spoon out there as far as you can and just drift the area. LHL is a little different than other areas because of the protection and artificial "lakes." I also kinda believe those "residential Redfish" pickup on us humans as the summer continues. Right now, they are less aware, hungry, and competing with each other as Spring continues.

Here is picture from Sunday after the front came in. The water had been pushed out of a lot of LHL and all the Redfish were huddled up in the lakes. In this picture you can see the wakes, esp in the upper left hand corner...those tight ripples are all Redfish and the wakes around my kayak were caused by Redfish...as you can see the placid water in the far back ground. I do not know how many there were but 50 plus no doubt. They were there because the inner mangroves were too shallow and the bait was balled up there too.

F68FE7C7-3A44-478F-8638-01BE96A36943(1).jpg
Onski326

Post by Onski326 »

very cool report. sounds like a fun adventure. can't wait till I get the chance to check out the coast on a yak. one of these days...
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

Kitsune wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 4:50 am There are a lot of "residential reds" in LHL and even if you do not see action the chances of one sitting right below the surface is high. With high tides LHL can be really difficult. However, learning the pot holes, fishing structure like mangrove lines and guts close by will usually get you something. Redfish always amaze me on how well they can hide right below the surface. Some people do not like blind casting, but I find it helpful in these situations and sometimes more exciting. There are also nice trout that hang around the openings right at first light and blind casting is the only way you will catch these fish if they are not actively hitting bait. If you kayak over an area and see action, such as fish making wakes, causing mud stirs, hitting bait, or the infamous tailing, set up a good drift and bomb a top-water or spoon out there as far as you can and just drift the area. LHL is a little different than other areas because of the protection and artificial "lakes." I also kinda believe those "residential Redfish" pickup on us humans as the summer continues. Right now, they are less aware, hungry, and competing with each other as Spring continues.

Here is picture from Sunday after the front came in. The water had been pushed out of a lot of LHL and all the Redfish were huddled up in the lakes. In this picture you can see the wakes, esp in the upper left hand corner...those tight ripples are all Redfish and the wakes around my kayak were caused by Redfish...as you can see the placid water in the far back ground. I do not know how many there were but 50 plus no doubt. They were there because the inner mangroves were too shallow and the bait was balled up there too.

F68FE7C7-3A44-478F-8638-01BE96A36943(1).jpg
I appreciate it and I would've kept going other than I had a 5 hour drive home lol.

This trip was mainly to test the water if you will for camping at a State Park to be able to fish, what do I really need to take for camping and issues to be careful of, and then can I break camp, fish, and then still make it home at a decent time.

I've been camping plenty in the past but I did learn I need to take my own grill if nothing else to keep Tern's from pulling my steak off of the State Park grill.

Yes, that really happened.