A nice limit before work

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

A nice limit before work

Post by Prof. Salt »

I snuck out of the house at 5:00 and made my way to a drain that had been hosting lots of feeding reds at low tide. This morning's low tide would be happening right at daylight, so I hoped it would prove to be a quick trip. As it got light enough to see, I found a single working the shoreline along the drain. I got set up and waited for the fish to approach before making a short, gentle cast to the fish. It struck the bait but I yanked it away before the hook could find a spot. The next cast was accurate, and this time I waited for the fish to let me know when to set the hook. The 23" red came aboard and I began scanning for others. Across the drain I noticed a group of reds working towards the bay, and I hustled to cut them off. I got within range and tossed the bait ahead of the wakes, and it was quickly eaten. This fish came to the boat quickly and then darted under and out the other side right under my butt. The poor rod was doubled over and mud was raining down on the kayak as the fish created mayhem and threatened to break my new rod. Thankfully it came aboard without any other issues, and when I looked up again the same school of reds was still working towards the bay. I caught them from behind and casted ahead of the wakes. Nothing. It took several casts to get the lure to be noticed, but when it was seen it got attacked again. The third fish was 25" and a perfect third fish. My watch read 7:39 as the kayak turned toward the launch and I began paddling for the truck. I love it when I can catch a mess of fish and still get to work after only burning 2.5 vacation hours. :D

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: A nice limit before work

Post by Ron Mc »

Glenn, gotta wonder if you eat anything besides fish. :mrgreen:
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Ron, I freeze fillets and hand them out to the older folks at church. Those with limited incomes don't tend to get fresh fish very often and I feel good helping them out. I often "have" to go fishing after giving it all out so we can eat a little more at home. :D
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

great plan, bro.
Yak Dog

Post by Yak Dog »

Man I wish I lived close enough to do that, nice stinger of reds. My drive to the marsh is over an hour to either spot I fish.
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

Nice Prof Salt!