Lures for Sightcasting to Redfish

Neumie
Site Admin

Lures for Sightcasting to Redfish

Post by Neumie »

So, going through tackle, piddlin', thought a topic discussing our favorite lures for sightcasting to reds was a good idea.

I generally start with the classic DOA shrimp in Nite Glow; I also carry in my box the Glow/Copper Crush and Rootbeer/Chartreuse. This is the first lure I tie on to my spinning setup when fishing flats I know I'll have shots at reds.

Next up would be the MirrOlure Lil John in Kitchen Sink. This is the only color pattern I carry in this lure, because I just love it. I use this lure when the redfish are super skittish. It's bullet shaped profile enters the water with very little splash.

The next two lures are by Buggs; the Double Bunny Jig and Permital Bug. The Double Bunny jig doubles as a shrimp or baitfish imitation lure and the Permital Bugg is a great juvenile crab lure. I carry four colors of the Double Bunny (Green Ghost, Natural, Night's Watch, and PBT; Green Ghost & PNT being my favorite two) and two colors of the Permital Bugg (Backcountry and Blue Crab; Blue Crab being my favorite). I use these lures when reds are refusing softplastics and want something more natural. In theory I should start with one of these tied on, but it's hard to break from an old DOA habit.

So these, are what I use for sightcasting to red; what's everyone else throw?

CopanoCruisin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Lures for Sightcasting to Redfish

Post by CopanoCruisin »

Tsunami broken back silver mullet has absolutely been my favorite for many years. Just saying……cC
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

My go to is a 3” curl rail grab in pumpkin with chartreuse tail on a 1/16 oz jig head. It can be rigged weedless but works best with regular jig heads. Next would be a 3-4” shrimp soft plastic in natural color both traditionally rigged and weedless. I’ve been throwing Vudu in recent years but recently bought some Z man to try next trip. A 1/2 oz and 3/4 oz gold spoon and Marker 54 mullet run in dark and natural colors. I figure if it’s either a shrimp or mullet imitation I should be ok. Scent can help if I’m dragging or bouncing the lure across the bottom. I’ve caught numerous black drum with this method. The Buggs were are excellent baits and perfect for a finicky bite. I generally target reds specifically and try to keep the lure profile on the smaller side.
Endo

Post by Endo »

We're talking sight casting specific here but I use two set-ups. The normal go-to is the standard 4" shad type soft plastic rigged with a 1/32 slip wt with a rubber stopper to prevent sliding (as pictured). Always rigged weedless. Usually the color here is pretty much my go-to..i think it's "chicken on a chain".

I use brands: TTF Killer Flats Minnows, Salt Water Assassin Sea Shad and DOA CAL Shad. The TTF flats minnows are the most durable, but slightly stiffer action. All work.

If they are really spooky I'll downsize to a 3" chickenboy shrimp soft plastic, smaller hook, but using the same wt setup as the above or go weightless.

If reds are feeding good, it really doesn't matter what you throw at them. But if they are spooky, small and light is key. I've used bugs before when finesse is called for, but smaller soft plastics 2-3" work better for me in that situation.

Approach, positioning and soft cast placement are way more important than color/type of lure. Don't ever underestimate the need to be silent (wading, kayak noise, wakes, and talking to your buddy), your position to the sun, and watch your shadow!
Attachments
PXL_20230508_210036996~2.jpg
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

My go to is 3” Vudu shad slathered with ProCure Inshore Saltwater gel. If there is a red within 10 yards of it the lure is getting slammed. I try to throw about 10 yards in front of the red and finesse it back towards the fish. Procure is redfish crack.
Attachments
IMG_4628.jpeg
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

There’s this one spot I have fished a ton over the years that gets a lot of redfish, but there’s so much shell that it is very difficult to sightfish any other lure than a topwater. The topwater can stay above the shell. The redfish lurk and feed in the depressions and creases between the raised clumps of live shell. The topwater has to be strategically placed as to intice the interest of the redfish, but not so close as to spook them. Best retrieve is often very slow with long pauses.

Aggressive redfish in bait busting pods, anything, usually a paddle tail on 1/16 ounce heads.

Singles or doubles of Spooky or wary redfish up shallow, often something shrimpy or buggy looking delivered via the buggy whip.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

karstopo wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 3:47 am There’s this one spot I have fished a ton over the years that gets a lot of redfish, but there’s so much shell that it is very difficult to sightfish any other lure than a topwater. The topwater can stay above the shell. The redfish lurk and feed in the depressions and creases between the raised clumps of live shell. The topwater has to be strategically placed as to intice the interest of the redfish, but not so close as to spook them. Best retrieve is often very slow with long pauses.

Aggressive redfish in bait busting pods, anything, usually a paddle tail on 1/16 ounce heads.

Singles or doubles of Spooky or wary redfish up shallow, often something shrimpy or buggy looking delivered via the buggy whip.

As a topwater junkie, I’m fine if a couple of reds spook to the one or two that nail it.
wittich

Post by wittich »

terminator in line spinner.jpg
This is probably my favorite lure for sightcasting to redfish. I can toss this in the middle of a mangrove and not get hung up. If you are fishing a shoreline, I will toss it onto shore and then hop it back in the water so as not to spook fish. The redfish never know what hit them.
wittich

Post by wittich »

zipnziggy.jpg
Another great lure is the ZIpNZiggy topwater. This is meant for bass, but the reds also hammer this lure. It is perfect size to imitate small mullet.