wittich

Re: Copano bay reds

Post by wittich »

grass red.jpg
wittich

Post by wittich »

5/12/23
We had an early start on Friday morning. If the wind is low, we usually find tailing fish right at day break, but with higher water levels and wind that week the fishing was tough. The first couple of spots were dead. No birds, not bait. Capt Joe Des Rosier always knows where to find the redfish. The wind had push bait into some smaller ponds and the birds were diving like crazy. The clouds and cloudy water made sightcasting difficult, but I was able to see a few tails and the tell tale sign of a big fish pushing wakes in the shallow ponds. This one ran full speed into grass of an island and my line for tangled in some debris. After letting that one go, I decided to try the hunt on foot and let my friend tuan fish the rest of the time from the skiff. Stalking fish on foot is challenging in the texas marsh, but you are able to get very close without spooking any fish. The tailing fish always seemed to be a little out of reach that morning. Hopefully, I am back again next weekend.
Yak Dog

Post by Yak Dog »

Man I tried fly fishing ONCE! Sold everything afterwards I don’t have the patience for it glad you got to them
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

Thanks for the report and nice pictures! :clap:
Yak Dog wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 4:49 pm Man I tried fly fishing ONCE! Sold everything afterwards I don’t have the patience for it glad you got to them
I took it to the logical conclusion and didn’t even buy the stuff :lol: If I lived close to quality stream fishing I would probably do it.
wittich

Post by wittich »

For me a flyrod is a tool for a specific situation. Think of it as holding a putter while on putting green . I am more accurate at a short distance with a fly rod. If I do need to reposition the fly, I can immediately pick up the fly and lay it back down. This might give me 2 or 3 shots at a cruising fish. If I am using a light line and weightless fly like a seducer, I can present the fly without making a splash. This is perfect for tailing fish. I would much rather have a fly rod in my hands when I see a pod of tailing fish versus a baitcasting/ spincasting rod.
A spincasting rod is more like a driver. On some days, I would rather throw out a topwater as far as possible and see fish blow up on a skitterwalk. They all have their strengths.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

wittich wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:55 am This is perfect for tailing fish. I would much rather have a fly rod in my hands when I see a pod of tailing fish versus a baitcasting/ spincasting rod.
A few friends have told me the same. It is the perfect weapon for that scenario. When I lived in Colorado I often imagined the fun of watching a fly float down the stream only to get snatched by a fish. Fun stuff!
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Excellent report. I haven't spent much time fishing the back lakes of Copano like I used to. I used to spend quite a bit of time back around Bayside fishing Aransas River.
OldTownYakBoi

Post by OldTownYakBoi »

Thanks for the pics and report, love me some bird action and looks like you had a heap of them!