Viking Profish Reload Handles

Music Man
Location: Missouri City Lightning Nomad, Kraken 13.5, Trident Ultra 4.3

Viking Profish Reload Handles

Post by Music Man »

Anyone have an issue with the side handles on a Profish breaking? A handle on my son's Profish broke today. It snapped right at where it is molded into the body. Contacted Viking via email so that will take some time.

Interesting thing is that this kayak is a warranty replacement for a yak that had cracking in the hull at this same spot. It looks like there is a solid bar molded into the body, but it is only a hollow sleeve covering another hollow tube molded from the body. Not very sturdy and the break opens into the hull, so a serious hull integrity problem.

Shame, this has been a great boat for him.

Any info or suggestions much appreciated.
TexasJim

Re: Viking Profish Reload Handles

Post by TexasJim »

No. But I have a Profish 400, which they stopped making about '18, and they have announced they are re-introducing it with some changes, one of which is the molded in handles, like the Reload. Also, the Reload-style front hatch. I can't imagine why yours has broken. The kayaks aren't very heavy. With the factory fire last year, changing the US distributor, and not many kayaks at dealers, it may be a while before you get a solution. Good luck! TexasJim
Music Man

Post by Music Man »

Yeah, it doesn’t make sense. Not heavy, never dropped it, and rarely use the side handles to lift. I have an idea how to repair as well as reinforce the handles. Just going to wait and see what Viking says.
kayakmodSS

Post by kayakmodSS »

The old style reloads have that problem but they fix that whit the new models at least that is what the told me at viking , i currently have one new style where the handle is solid plastic and one old one whit the handle look like a different piece of plastic that the kayak and so far both are holding good i was told when i bought the first one that they have lifetime warranty in the old style i try to not use those handles just in case .
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Music Man wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 11:37 am Yeah, it doesn’t make sense. Not heavy, never dropped it, and rarely use the side handles to lift. I have an idea how to repair as well as reinforce the handles. Just going to wait and see what Viking says.
It was a mold/design flaw. Viking took it on the chin for this because they are honoring the warranty (rightfully so). You don’t have to do anything for them to crack heat or expansion of the plastic can be enough from what I was told. I have one of those older model reloads. I’m hoping mine doesn’t crack. The US Viking dealer (in Rockport) is difficult at best to deal with. I needed some parts for mine and had to order them direct from New Zealand and had to pay that freight. I’d hate to have to go that route with a complete replacement.

Hope it works out for you.
Music Man

Post by Music Man »

Viking was quick to deal with the previous warranty replacement so fingers crossed. This kayak was supposedly an improvement over the previous design flaw. It looks like the solution would be to use a solid metal tube into the body with the plastic covering. That’s what I intend to do if they won’t honor the warranty. My son loves this boat - he saved up as a teenager to buy it - and doesn’t want to change. We’ll see what happens. Hate to hear that about the dealer in Rockport.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

The "dealer in Rockport", Ryan, hasn't been the US distributor for a while. A guy in Louisiana, Brian, claims to be the new US distributor, if you watch the Viking USA website video. Not much recent news from Viking NZ. Who knows? Hope the company can survive. They have some great kayak designs. TexasJim
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

Viking went through some issues with COVID and their factory burning down a couple of years ago. They are back up and making kayaks again, and the Reload has a new design with rotomolded handles that are much more robust than the tubes that had been used for a while. Brian should be able to solve the problem for you, but unfortunately shipping from overseas might take a while to get a replacement kayak. In the mean time maybe try some 3M 5200 sealant to seal the cracks?
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

TexasJim wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 7:34 pm The "dealer in Rockport", Ryan, hasn't been the US distributor for a while. A guy in Louisiana, Brian, claims to be the new US distributor, if you watch the Viking USA website video. Not much recent news from Viking NZ. Who knows? Hope the company can survive. They have some great kayak designs. TexasJim
Didn’t know that. I saw Ryan yesterday in Rockport driving his van still decked out with Viking kayak all over it. Maybe he has changed roles?
rockportkayak
Location: Rockport,TX---Viking Reload,Viking 400 Lite, Viking 2plus1

Post by rockportkayak »

SWFinatic wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 9:11 am
TexasJim wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 7:34 pm The "dealer in Rockport", Ryan, hasn't been the US distributor for a while. A guy in Louisiana, Brian, claims to be the new US distributor, if you watch the Viking USA website video. Not much recent news from Viking NZ. Who knows? Hope the company can survive. They have some great kayak designs. TexasJim
Didn’t know that. I saw Ryan yesterday in Rockport driving his van still decked out with Viking kayak all over it. Maybe he has changed roles?
I had to step down due to some family health issues as well as person health issues. I still support the brand and believe it is the best paddling kayak made today. To the OP; I would reach out to Viking NZ about this and include your serial number. I am not sure who the current US importer is.
Music Man

Post by Music Man »

I sent them the hull number and photos of the damage. Still haven’t heard back. I sealed the area of the break as Prof Salt suggested.