Launch Point for North and/or South Deer Island

Sciaenops

Launch Point for North and/or South Deer Island

Post by Sciaenops »

I recently moved back to the area, and have been wanting to paddle out to North and South Deer Island in Galveston bay. My understanding is that 8 mile road and Sportsman Road launches are no longer available. Is this correct? If so, is there a good location to launch from, where the paddle would be reasonable?
    Neumie
    Site Admin

Re: Launch Point for North and/or South Deer Island

Post by Neumie »

I know 8 mile has been closed for a couple years. The boat ramp at Sportsman was recently closed due to neighborly greed, but hopefully it's just temporary. I don't know whether the end of Sportsman road is still a viable option; I've heard people launching without issues while others have received tickets. Hopefully, someone else will chime in with better information.
    Tenore

Post by Tenore »

You can launch from the extreme west end of this road. However, you will need to park your vehicle a 1/4 mile+ down the road to get beyond the no-parking signage. Have a plan B (GISP or Artist Boat). My info is from about 6 months ago so there may have been changes. I would not attempt this on the weekends.
    Sciaenops

Post by Sciaenops »

Tenore wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:17 pm You can launch from the extreme west end of this road. However, you will need to park your vehicle a 1/4 mile+ down the road to get beyond the no-parking signage. Have a plan B (GISP or Artist Boat). My info is from about 6 months ago so there may have been changes. I would not attempt this on the weekends.
    Awesome! Thanks for the info.