Lithium 12v 100ah battery

scottdavison22

Lithium 12v 100ah battery

Post by scottdavison22 »

I've been looking into getting a Lithium 12v 100ah battery for a trolling motor and found some affordable ones on ebay. Does the brand really matter? I'm sure they all come from China anyways. Does anyone have any experience with these?
Attachments
Screenshot_20230613_152510_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20230613_152537_eBay.jpg
Last edited by scottdavison22 on Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Music Man
Location: Missouri City Lightning Nomad, Kraken 13.5, Trident Ultra 4.3

Re: Lithium 12v 100ah battery

Post by Music Man »

Aside from the price, the disadvantage I see with these is the weight. I use two of the Nocqua 10 Ah batteries and they last for days. They are light and small. I fit mine into a small Pelican case. They are now selling a 20 Ah battery for $170. I’m only using power for a depth finder and camera/phone charger, so…

More than likely all of these are made in the same plant in China.
loonycamp

Post by loonycamp »

The cost difference for lithium batteries is evident if you watch the Will Prose videos on youtube you will learn alot. One area that will be important is the battery management system or BMS. Some batteries for example will not have a cold weather shut-off and some will.
I bought the Weize 100ah lifepo4 and have put alot of time trolling off it and used it as a camping power source and have had zero issues. Right now its $329.99 on Amazon.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

scottdavison22 wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:32 pm I've been looking into getting a Lithium 12v 100ah battery and found some affordable ones on ebay. Does the brand really matter? I'm sure they all come from China anyways. Does anyone have any experience with these?
There are batteries like Lithium Pros, Battle Born, Dakota, etc. that claim they are made in USA. I wouldn’t be surprised if all the parts come from china though.

Yes there is a big difference between a quality lithium battery like from Lithium Pros compared to some you listed above. Performance and warranty are the two biggest factors. That said I realize perspective is necessary in that it doesn’t always make sense to spend 800 to 1000 bucks on a battery for a kayak that only cost that much. As mentioned weight is the biggest factor. Just because you’re looking at lithium doesn’t mean it won’t adversely affect how your kayak performs. Also 120 AH is completely overkill if that’s just for a trolling motor unless you’re wanting the charge to last several days before you can charge it again.
scottdavison22

Post by scottdavison22 »

Music Man wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:51 pm Aside from the price, the disadvantage I see with these is the weight. I use two of the Nocqua 10 Ah batteries and they last for days. They are light and small. I fit mine into a small Pelican case. They are now selling a 20 Ah battery for $170. I’m only using power for a depth finder and camera/phone charger, so…

More than likely all of these are made in the same plant in China.

I don't think a 20ah would work very well for a trolling motor. These weigh 22lbs compared to a heavy lead acid battery.
motoyak

Post by motoyak »

I run a 50 AH x 12 VDC lithium ion battery in my motoyak using a #30 Minn Kota. It weighs #11.
At wide open throttle(WOT), I pull 20-24 amps(measured with ampmeter) so I'm looking at slightly over 2 hrs WOT run time. At slightly under 4 mph WOT that would net me 8 miles plus change. If I slow to mid throttle, I can double my mileage.
In reality, I rarely run WOT for more than 10 mins at a time. I have gotten 3-6 hr fishing sessions at Powderhorn lake in on a full charge easily.
A 120AH battery is overkill IMHO.
Invest in or borrow an ampmeter to check your draw at various throttle settings and size your battery accordingly.

LIon batteries are similar but the construction and BMS can be different. Higher end batteries use better cells and more advanced BMS. I highly recommend Amped Outdoors as a suppier. They warrenty thier batteries for 10 years or several thousand cycles. Always store them out of temps below 32 degrees or over 100. Recharge at 20%, never drain them completely.