Lower guad help

SwampTrout

Lower guad help

Post by SwampTrout »

Staying near Wimberley and want to kayak the Lower Guad for the first time. Any recommendations on where to put in and take out? Will go at sunrise and want to be off the water before noon to avoid the worst of the tubers. Looking to do some fishing. Having trouble figuring out where I can get access. Any help appreciated!
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: Lower guad help

Post by Neumie »

If you are in Wimberley, you'll be a 1,000% better off heading to the San Marcos River. Access Map

Edit: I forgot they are releasing 120 CFM from Canyon Lake, so it would be paddle-able.

Are you looking at putting in and taking out at the same location? Or will you need a shuttle?
SwampTrout

Post by SwampTrout »

Thanks Neumie - we aren’t picky about which river, just figured with the drought the Guad might be better bet due to the dam. Will have 2 rigs so can drop one at take out and run our own shuttle. Would really appreciate any floats you would recommend!!
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

I think there's a place to launch right below the dam for free near Hidden Valley Sports Park, but I'm not 100% sure. You can access the river with a kayak (after carrying it down) here: 29°51'40.4"N 98°09'30.1"W; and park here: 29°51'33.7"N 98°09'18.2"W. There wouldn't be any fee to to park at these two places. The only other access put it ins I know where you could drop the kayaks off and park for free would be in Gruene and Cypress Bend Park in New Braunfels. Anywhere in between you'll have to pay to park. So Rio Guadalupe, Lazy L&L, Meckel's Landing, Action Angler (may be hard with a kayak), River Rd Camp, KL Ranch Camp, and Camp Hueco Springs are some of the main pay for access points. Generally, expect to pay $5-$10 per vehicle.

The main toobing runs are the Horsehoe Loop between the FM 306 crossings, Camp Hueco Springs to Gruene, and Gruene to Loop 337.

Here's a great map from T&G Canoes with access down river of the city of San Marcos: Link. He also has a video where he visits the crossing: Youtube

I admit, I've never kayaked any of these stretches, so spend some time looking at imagery for fishing holes and potential obstructions such as dams and log jams (especially on the San Marcos).