Ten miles and just one cast

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Ten miles and just one cast

Post by Prof. Salt »

This afternoon I went to the Nueces delta marsh to put in a few miles and look for reds. The tide was dropping out and according to the solunar chart there would be a major feed from 3:30 - 5:00. I knew the spots that should hold fish, but every place I checked had zero feeding activity. I found quite a few fish that would leave mud boils as I passed, but they were just laying around until they got spooked. Oh well, as it got late I headed for the river to get back to the launch. Once in the river I was watching the edge carefully as I paddled and just 400 yards from the truck, here came a familiar wake. I got off one cast, and the eat was immediate. Two good drag pulling runs later, I brought the fat 26” red aboard and dinner was sorted. Dinner was good!

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Ten miles and just one cast

Post by karstopo »

I don’t know what triggers redfish to completely shut down and lay up, but I too have experienced this phenomenon up the coast.

I’ll never forget one time wade fishing in west matagorda bay watching smaller mullet jump from one nearby specific spot. I eased over to the spot and in spite of the slight chop, I could clearly see an overslot sized redfish hovering just over the sea grass and sand. I suppose the mullet swimming along hit the area and jumped, but the redfish wasn’t chasing mullet or even moving beyond whatever little fin movements were needed to hold in place with the current. I happened to have a redfish crack on and tried moving it into the zone, gradually moving closer and closer to the fish. Never got any sort of reaction until I literally had the fly a fraction of an inch from the fish’s nose. The big red finally eased away and out of sight.

Anyhow, a 26” redfish is a lot of great eating. And 10 miles in a kayak is some good exercise.
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

karstopo wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:07 am Anyhow, a 26” redfish is a lot of great eating. And 10 miles in a kayak is some good exercise.
And it was enough on both accounts. Today I’m thinking about a rematch - I can’t see them laying down two nights in a row during a good tidal drop.
deptrai

Post by deptrai »

I passed a Red just sitting on the bottom today too. I got within 2' of the guy and he didn't move. It was only when I reached for my net that he took off.

Dave