TKF 5000 Club

Ten Plus Thirty Equals One

Post by karstopo »

Redfish, a mini bull, overslot, marsh monster,
FullSizeRender.jpeg
FullSizeRender.jpeg
FullSizeRender.jpeg
FullSizeRender.jpeg
Made a midday motor to my local marsh to cash in on the incoming tide. Seems like that tide combined with warm sunshine after a cool stretch equals redfish. The math was good, but the mathematician not so much as there were ample opportunities to connect with fish, but at the end of the mini semester I believe my grades would be an A+ followed by several Fs and a few incompletes.

I’d rather talk about the A first. Hungry fish spotted attacking bait tight to a shoreline. Paddle over to plan and position for the stealthy ambush. Smartly, I didn’t stake out but rather allowed the breeze to nudge me into position for the shot. Forty foot shot was taken, the shot hit the target, the redfish did its part, now off to the races. Since I hadn’t staked out, the fish took me into a little deeper water and away from sharp shell that dotted the skinny water.

I like to try and generally mostly succeed managing redfish off the reel, but this fish had other ideas. Great, a fish on the reel is easier to handle than off, but again, this fish had a different plan. December is a good month for a sleigh ride and that’s what I got. Snow, water, reindeer, redfish, what’s the difference at the end of the day. I got the grand tour of the Freeport marsh before I finally was able to rein in this red.

A little north of 12 pounds weighed in the net. My net is well less than 2 pounds soaking wet so I figure close to eleven pounds. My measure only goes to 25” (I had planned to remedy that) but this fish was at least 6” beyond the 25”. Anyway, I kept the fish on the boga grip in the water for a while to allow the red to revive after that battle, snapped a final photo or two, and off it swam away.

Me, I never really fully revived and should have pulled the plug and called it a day. As it is with the better redfish they seem to take something out of me. The rest of the time I tanked up on vitamin D and got some exercise. No fish were harmed except a 12” flounder that got a moment in the air before going back into the water.

I can think of only one bigger redfish I caught in the marsh about a mile away and five years past. If the quantity was lacking the quality of this fish was there.
dnordin

Re: Ten Plus Thirty Equals One

Post by dnordin »

Nice fish, thanks for the report. I was out there Wed the wind was pretty stiff, out and back actually. No fish but good exercise and real good bird watching.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

dnordin wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:28 pm Nice fish, thanks for the report. I was out there Wed the wind was pretty stiff, out and back actually. No fish but good exercise and real good bird watching.
I love the bird life.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Everything came together - thanks for sharing.
Lining fish on flyrod - I'll keep my comments to myself.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Ron Mc wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:05 am Everything came together - thanks for sharing.
Lining fish on flyrod - I'll keep my comments to myself.
I generally let the redfish decide if it goes on the reel. A lot of times I have a decent amount of line out in my kayak at my feet, more than I might normally need for sight fishing because I don’t like to go for long without doing some sort of casting, even if it is a clump of shell or some little gut. Call it Target practice, keeping sharp until the fish show, but trying to hit a target is my fly fishing M.O. and structure fishing has been proven to me to be productive.

So if I have 70 feet of line out doing this target practice and then a sight fishing shot of 35’ comes along because a fish comes into view, if the fish isn’t going to be able to run out that surplus of line I don’t often try to work on getting the loose line back on the reel. That breaking point is generally around mid slot territory, but some upper slots don’t ever make it to the reel because they don’t run much. I feel like I can put ample pressure on the fish with my line and rod hands working together.
saltykat
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by saltykat »

Good report David those bulls do wear you out on light tackle. I like catching them on the heavier rods and reels we use for btb
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

I suppose I could say that I've caught my share of reds during the past many years. However, I've never come close to boating anything close to your 25 pounder on a fly rod. From my point of view I consider your accomplishment to be monumental. Thanks for sharing both pics and dialogue.
rasaid

Post by rasaid »

I agree with Kayak Kid's comments. That's a monumental feat indeed!